Dyautonomia Q&a For The "common Folk"

I am doing a project on Dysautonomia in my health class and am going to have Q&A section to my presentation, and would love some feedback from you guys as to what would be good questions that "normal" people who dont know what dysautonomia is. (the Q&A will be after the presentation, so they will know the basic stuff we "teach" them but will probably still be unclear) Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Happy new year!

Mary

Guest tearose

Well, most people want to understand why we can "look good and be so incapacitated".

They don't understand that sometimes our hr will soar to 150 and we will be near faint and other times we can go for a long walk and be fine.

There is an assumption out there in the world, that once you are "ill" you must always look that way.

So, I guess I am saying to address the invisible disability aspect.

good luck,

tearose

Why is your digestive system slow?

Why abnormal sweat patterns?

Why can you function one day and not the next?

What meds help the most?

Does warm weather or cold weather make you feel better?

How many people have this condition?

Is anyone born with it?

Does it tend to run in families?

Does it affect more women than men and why?

What is the most common cause of death with people with this disorder?

What is the best exercise program?

What kind of doctor do most people see?

Does it affect your sleep?

Do most people have children who have this disorder and does pregnancy make it worse?

Guess that's it. My brain stopped.

Dawn :)

I find many people are interested in my compensating maneuvers and how they work to make me feel better. (like drawing my legs in to my chest or sitting cross-legged)

There may be question as to how moving and walking can be easier for us than standing still for the same length of time.

Also, some people in your class will want to know "if this could happen to them" since young people can get it. How do you recognize the initial symptoms, get tested, etc.

Good luck with your presentation, Mary!