Wilbur's Gotten To Be A Big Boy!

MightyMouse

Hi All, these photos are from Dec 17th. Wilbur is getting to be a long, lean guy. I think he's grown into his ears a bit! As you can see, he's a momma's boy, giving me more kisses than I know what to do with (I call it my free microdermabrasion :))

Nina

NinaWilburSm.jpg

WilburGivesKissesSm.jpg

He's a purebred Savannah --he was born from a first generation Savannah female (F1-which means she has a pure Serval as a parent) and fourth generation Savannah male (F6--a male who's a few steps removed from a Serval). BTW, Servals are native to the African Savannah's (hence the name). Wilbur, is therefore, an F2 Male making him about 29% Serval.

Our breeder has an explanation of what Savannahs are and how they're bred. She has some adorable pictures there too--Wilbur's parents are Kboo and Mbau, in case you come across them when surfing her site.

Those pix of Kboo and Mbau are from when they were kittens--they were inseparable. You can tell from how they lay together that they were fast friends. Wilbur looks and acts just like his Mommy. He has a TON of attitude.

Savannahs are not for the faint hearted; you basically need to babyproof the entire house, and think of it as a baby that can jump 8 to 10 feet--so babyproofing up high is part of the necessities of having a Savannah in the house. In our bedroom, we recently removed all of our lighting that had cords or was able to be knocked over--he doesn't do it on purpose, but since that's where he stays when we're out, the room needs to be free of accident opportunities. We now have battery operated wall sconces.

Nina

Pat, he sleeps at night IF we make sure he exercises for about an hour before bed. It's kind of like taking a dog for a walk or run... if we don't, he makes toys out of anything in our bedroom; slipper, sock, tv remote, doesn't matter to him. If we make sure he's tired beforehand, he'll sleep straight through for as long as we stay in bed--up to 9 or 10 hours! He also has become accustomed to making a hammock out of the two of us...he finds a spot between us and then sprawls out longways.

Nina

awe, thanks everyone--I love him so.

As for how he arrived in NJ from the breeder's home, she flew with him here. It costs about 50$ to bring a small animal on board as a carry on in a container that fit under the seat. I paid for her r/t ticket including Wilbur being on the plane. It's safer than shipping an animal as freight and much less stressful to have him with someone familiar. She also allows folks to pick up at her home (now moved back to NC), or she'll drive if it's just a few hours--but NJ was too far. Also, there are 2 states where F1 and 2 are not legal to own--NY is one of them--I think the other is other is Georgia?

Nina