Multi-Vitamins

I am currently looking to start a new multi-vitamin, and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on vitamins that are best for us =) What do you all take? Is it better for me to take a general vitamin or one specifically for women?

For those of us struggling with dysautonomic conditions, a general multi-vitamin won't even be close to meeting our needs. We have very specific and strong imbalances that should be addressed more closely. Besides - just about anything you buy off the shelf (even at a health food store) is mostly synthetic and of only marginal benefit.

A couple of things you may want to consider:

Metabolic Typing - you can get the book Metabolic Typing Diet, take the test and follow the recommendations. But for me, this wasn't nearly enough. I enrolled for the highest level of the program, meaning lots of testing done at home then submitted along with a lengthy questionnaire. Your individual body chemistry is studied, then you are given the results and suggestions (30+ pages of info!). They have specifically formulated supplements based on your chemistry. You are assigned to a counselor to help you work into the protocol (yes, over the phone if nobody is in your area). Their entire premise is to balance the autonomic nervous system. This is the best thing I've done for myself.

Another really good thing I've done is subscribe to Health Alert newsletter - we've followed this guy's research for more than 12 years because not only does it make such great sense, but he writes so the layman can easily understand. If you go to www.healthalert.com, you can sign up for the publication. Unfortunately, the website used to be soooo much better. (He must have a new marketing person who really stinks.) The site makes it appear he is just like all the other off-beat, non-traditional practitioners who often give out ridiculous information or jump on the bandwagon of every new thing that comes along. But he's MUCH different and MUCH better than any other we've subscribed to. Once you subscribe to his outstanding newsletter (only $40/year), you can contact him about your situation, fill out a questionnaire and complete a couple of simple tests, then get his personal recommendations. He uses mostly Standard Process products, which are top-quality, whole food supplements.

Just sharing a couple of ideas for you to look into . . .

I have the perfect vitamins for you, but the box is at home and I am at work, and I am going crazy trying to think of the name! I will post later once I have the name of them. They are kind of expensive but well worth it. They are not standard multivitamins, but are targeted toward women with chronic fatigue-type illnesses. They are a combo of B vitamins, zinc, mag, pantothenic acid, etc. I could not function without them. They are iron-free, so you would have to take iron separately, but they do have 400 mcg of folic acid that we are supposed to take for being of childbearing age.

Amy

I just found the vitamins I take on the Internet. They're actually not that expensive, are gluten-free (good for you!) and are considered a multivitamin.

Here's the link:

http://www.gnld.com/store/Product.aspx?STO...roduct_id=10007

I pay about $35 for a two-month supply. Notice the vitamins only provide 33% of your vitamin E content. If you are at risk for heart disease, you may want to take a supplement.

Hope that if you decide to try these, they help you out. Another brand I take for vit. C is Solaray; I like these pretty well too.

Amy

Thanks so much for the info :rolleyes: I will check out that website Amy!

Opus88- Metabolic typing sounds interesting! I wonder if I can get the book on Amazon... I'll have to check that out as well, just something to look into :D

Any other ideas?