Compression Hose

maryfw

I bought my first pair of compression hose and today is the first day wearing them. Does it take a while to get accustomed to the feel? I bought a size larger that I would normally because they did not have my size but I dont think I could stand anything smaller. Hope this helps me. Felling better today but that could be a fluke.

Do they help anyone else?

mary

Guest tearose

Oh dear mary,

Yes, yes, yes, compression hose is my main way of treating my hyperadrenergic POTS!!!

They are tough to get on and it does take me about 20 minutes to start feeling the benefit.

I feel like a different person when my bp is up and that is what the hose does for me.

I even use an additional compression garment under the pantyhose.

Were you fitted for the hose? Maybe you need a different size. What strength are your hose?

best regards,

tearose

hi mary -

while i can't say that the hose you bought yourself can't or won't help at all, in general the compression hose that most people find the most benefit from (and those that have been shown via research studies to be beneficial for at least some) are a type that are only available via prescription or online. they have a stronger compression than those one would buy "off the shelf" though i think i recall some saying the lesser variety helped them in "working up to" the prescription strength in regard to getting used to them. and the lesser compression may very well help some IF you have the proper fit. if the fit isn't right, particularly in the higher compressions, it can actually be detrimental to wear them.

the best way to get properly fitted is through a medical supplier/ medical supply store/ pharmacy that carries prescription compression hose. you then need a prescription from your doctor specifying the compression strength (usually 20-30mmHg or 30-40mmHg), the type (waist high are best for most), the number, the diagnosis/ reason you need them, and the number you need. you can always get less than what the prescription is written for (in terms of quantity) but not more. you will then be measured for the best fit of a specific type of hose, may have some choice of color/ style (depending on where you go), etc. they may have what you need in stock or need to order them in which case you would get them in a week or two. these hose are significantly more expensive if you don't have insurance coverage for them but if you can swing it a good measurement/ fit is the best way to go for your first pair. after that you can order them online for much less (though still not cheap).

all of that said, YES they do take some getting used too. but if they don't fit right (too big or too small) it will be that much tougher.

hope this helps,

;) melissa

Umm- certainly buying a pair that's TOO small wouldn't help if you couldn't get into them, but it seems like buying a pair that's too big would probably be counter-productive.

Guest tearose

There are many brands to choose from. There are some with more natural fibers, some more synthetic, there are color choices and some will more style...

You would do well to go to a surgical supply shop and inquire as to who "fits" people and can help you find a style and size and brand that will be the most comfortable to use. After all, you will only benefit if you use them and knowing they are fitted right will help you get through the initial adjustment period.

I have never had these covered by insurance but personally do well with the JUZO line of compression. They are the least itchy for me.

Just see if you can get them covered before you purchase your next pair.

Did you keep them on all day today? Happy first day then!

May you have many more days of successful baroreceptor reflex control!!! :rolleyes:

best regards,

tearose

I did keep them on all day. They are "mild" control. I am going to my PCP today to see if he will treat me for my NCS/POTS. My cardiologist is too busy and is only concerned about if I am passing out not how am I living from day to day. I know that there are things we can try that could help me and I am not going to stop until we try some of them.

Thanks

mary

Welcome to Glamour!! (You have to say it like its the 1950's)

Being fitted is the only way to go. Otherwise you can end up with tight bunching and from what I understand, that is dangerous!

The pair will cost around $100, or custom for $150. My custom ones beat the others 10 to 1. Home health is the source for these and they usually have a few different types and colors (I have an old pair that I'm going to try dying dark blue this weekend. I know...WILD!!)

Also, if you have problems with elastic allergy like I do and your thighs become raw, or abraised or whatever- Target has some WONDERFUL exercise shorts that can be worn either over or as underwear. I get the mens thin and tight black ones that go down to just above the knee. (you know- the ones that you see on the side of the road on the bicyclists with the extremely tight and very distracting pdonkadonks?) And- they are fabulous because if you are self secure, or live alone- they are great to sleep in during the summer. You have to get these relatively tight though so that they won't bunch up under the hose. Make it work though, because hose can be a great improvement.

Like I said, Welcome to Glamour!!!

I just got my first pair as well.

I have a question:

The brand is JUZO, and I'm just wondering something. If you are used to wearing stockings already, were the compression stockings a big change for you? I danced since I was 3 years old so lived almost my entire life in dance stockings which I feel are just the way my compression stockings feel. I got mine in the hospital while I was there and the guy who delivered them did measure one area of my leg then showed me and put them on me.

To me they aren't that tight. Yes, they are hard to put them on. Yesterday was my first day putting them on by myself and it took me 35 minutes! But I still don't think they are very tight. I'm asking about the tightness because I've heard people say how tight they are and I just don't feel that way. They stay up so I don't think they are too big...but again it's my first pair.

I heard the nurse on the phone while ordering them saying that I wear a size 7 shoe.

What do you think?

Guest tearose

Hi sunset,

welcome to the club!

I think the hardest part is getting them on and off. If you were measured at the ankle, calf, thigh and waist, you were measured properly. You hopefully felt overall better after wearing them for the first 20 minutes and then should not notice them at all.

Read me the style number and the roman numeral and letters from the inside label and I will tell you what you have. Do you still have the JUZO box? I will help you figure out what size and compression level they gave you if you would like.

Maybe they did give you a lighter compression level. If they fitted you improperly, you can take them back and exchange them.

I truly cannot live without my compression. I would be bed bound, or floor bound... :) without them.

best regards,

tearose

Oooo what happens if they bunch up? Its dangerous???

Welcome to Glamour!! (You have to say it like its the 1950's)

Being fitted is the only way to go. Otherwise you can end up with tight bunching and from what I understand, that is dangerous!

The pair will cost around $100, or custom for $150. My custom ones beat the others 10 to 1. Home health is the source for these and they usually have a few different types and colors (I have an old pair that I'm going to try dying dark blue this weekend. I know...WILD!!)

Also, if you have problems with elastic allergy like I do and your thighs become raw, or abraised or whatever- Target has some WONDERFUL exercise shorts that can be worn either over or as underwear. I get the mens thin and tight black ones that go down to just above the knee. (you know- the ones that you see on the side of the road on the bicyclists with the extremely tight and very distracting pdonkadonks?) And- they are fabulous because if you are self secure, or live alone- they are great to sleep in during the summer. You have to get these relatively tight though so that they won't bunch up under the hose. Make it work though, because hose can be a great improvement.

Like I said, Welcome to Glamour!!!

Yeah, bunching can be bad. Esp. if you already have bad return blood flow etc. You are at risk if constricting the flow of blood more, instead of encouraging it to return to the heart. You can also then be at greater risk of DVT and dermatological issues (like pressure ulcer type of thing) because you are concentrating all that pressure on one area.

So, watch the compression hose and periodically smooth it out to decrease additional problems.

This makes me so nervous. I have been feeling a bit dizzier than normal when I wear my compression stockings and I just told myself that I was probably getting dizzy b/c I was getting TOO much blood to the brain! I told myself this is a good thing, that it meant they were working! I had no idea that the stockings could actually be making me feel worse. Its weird because I was speaking more clearly than usual today and my heart wasn't racing as fast as it usually does, but, at the same time, I was feeling a lot dizzier than normal. Could the stockings be relieving some POTS symptoms while exacerbating others? This is all so confusing...

Yeah, bunching can be bad. Esp. if you already have bad return blood flow etc. You are at risk if constricting the flow of blood more, instead of encouraging it to return to the heart. You can also then be at greater risk of DVT and dermatological issues (like pressure ulcer type of thing) because you are concentrating all that pressure on one area.

So, watch the compression hose and periodically smooth it out to decrease additional problems.

Hi again!

Bella27,

Hi, first I am no doctor or have expertise in compression stockings, but in classes in school we are taught some about them. What we are taught is to be hypervigalent to ensure that the stockings do not bunch up, they fit well, and don't irritate or ride up (like behind the knee). If the stockings do bunch it is important to routinely check them and smooth them out. When they bunch, what ever compression it is approx. doubled or tripled over that spot due to the fabric having two or three layers in that area. So, it ends up acting like a rubber band or a tourniquet.

So, the another risk is a lack of blood flow to the area below the bunching. Also, whatever blood is trapped below the bunched area will have a hard time returning to the heart. If it is bunching over a blood vessel it would have the possibility (I think) if there was prior compromise or arteriosclerosis etc. to cause a DVT or other form of injury, even just bruising.

One area to really watch is right behind the knee, and be careful to not restrict blood flow in this region, as it is prone to many problems. Also, right around the ankles.

I probably do not explain it all the best, or one hundred percent accurate, because I still actually learn more and more about it as time goes on. Plus, you have to understand that they are teaching us to deal with pts with diabetes or post-surgery who are much more prone to issues.

If you are more dizzy, other than the typical dangers that provides, I am not sure that it is really a "bad" thing or that it has anything to do with the stockings. There is likely an adjustment time to the comp. hose I personally am not sure what that would include. If you are very sensitive to these types of changes you may notice it more. I think that the important thing is to make sure that they fit right, and that they are maintained and worn properly.Try to watch for bunching and fix it. If the "side effects" from adjusting to them come and go and are not serious then, I would think it may not be a huge issue. But, if it continues to provide you problems or see other changes, probably talk with your dr.

I would think everything is fine, but if you become really worried or notice a lot of changes talk with your dr.

I hope this helps and good luck!!! ;)

Suzanne,

You could give waist high a try to see if they work better for you. If a lot of your blood pooling happens in your abdomen, then thigh highs won't help with that. You can check your bp/hr before and after stockings to see if the compression is helping to keep your blood pressure up/heart rate down.

I have a pair of waist high, but I don't wear them very often. For me they are too hard to pull up and down all day. Also, I'm tall, so I probably should have gotten a size larger. Height wasn't taken into consideration on the sizing chart, though. I actually usually wear knee high compression. It's not as good as thigh high, but it does enable me to sit up longer. Now that winter is coming I'll be able to wear some thigh highs again.

Some days compression doesn't make much of a difference for me, but usually it helps.

Rachel