Narrow Pulse Pressure - Any Meds That Help This?

Tammy

More often than not, my pulse pressure is very narrow, such as 99/80 and the like. What causes this and also, is there anything a person can do to prevent it? I typically feel extremely weak when it does this. Thanks for any information :lol:

In a nutshell, this can mean low blood volume aka hypovolemia. If a med CURED such a thing, we would not need this message board.

Fluid loading (as long as you RETAIN the fluids and do not pee them back out immediately) salt if BP is low, etc. Many meds on this board about that.

Also, compression garments. I could NEVER do the stockings either thigh or waste high due to hand problems and they are TOO HOT.

But I CAN wear a stong and tight backsupport now that the weather has cooled off and it can help immensely. Also helps with lightheadedness.

Don't quote me on this but I think that a narrowed pulse pressure can be a sign of low blood volume / dehydration. Does your pulse pressure widen if you make an extra effort to load with fluid and salt?

The narrowest mine has ever been recorded at was 96/90 during my tilt test - at that level there is hardly any forwards blood flow and I was very nearly unconscious.

Flop

OK, I am going to sound really ignorant, but what exactly is a narrow pulse pressure and how does one measure it? I feel like my pulse is very weak - is that what this means?

when you take your blood pressure, pulse pressure is the amount of space between the numbers.

120/80 normal, 100/70 normal.

90/70 narrow and the numbers can be closer. That is pulse pressure. I used to have an article on this someplace but can't find it. It was by Dr. Bell.

If the numbers are close it can also signify low blood volume (I asked Grubb about this and he agreed it's a strong indicator) This is why our numbers may be normal but if too narrow, the blood is not being distributed throughout the body as needed...especially to OUR BRAIN.

I am off to watch a car race...hopefully some savvy person can 'splain this easier than I. Many docs pay no attention to pulse pressure...or nurses for that matter.

Quick search found this but did not read the whole article.

but 18 or less numbers in between means NARROW pulse.

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/restheory.html

Hope this helps.

Long article but here is the one paragraph.

'Orthostatic narrowing of the pulse pressure where the difference between

the upper number and lower number is measured. If the pulse pressure

drops below 18, that's considered abnormal.'

Just want to shime in...I have had pulse pressures as close as 120/102 and as wide as 160/ 64 I believe they were they found I was dehydrated and had some isses with potassium..not that this is the case for everyone..I was in sorry shape with the wide pulse pressure...I think in general us with autonomic prbs have them .