Wheelchair Cushions

Rachel

Hello friends,

Do any of you have a lumbar support cushion for your wheelchair? Is there one you would recommend? I am in need of more lumbar support when I'm in my wheelchair, but I haven't found much of a selection of cushions. Many of the ones I have found look kind of cheap. Does anyone know of a cushion that would be worth my money?

Rachel

have you looked at any of the ones in the occupational therapy catalogs? They have some pretty cool stuff--I've seen students at school with support cushions that are pliable, air filled silicon with little nubs all over. They've lasted with little kids on them for years.

Nina

Hey Rachel. I had two on the NHs which were worth $300 each. The good ones are expensive- You want to get one with gel inside that moulds to your shape. They are the really good ones. The others aren't comfortable. Wheelchairs without lumbar cushions can be so uncomfortable- hope you get something good soon.

Yeah, look online or medical suppy stores. Physical therapy or occupational type of catalogs would like be the best bet. The Sammons Preston company makes a ton of rehab equipment, you can request a catalog etc. If you have a PT or OT they could help you. If you don't have one consider going just one or twice to get a consultation on how to make your wheelchair fit you better and more comfortably. Some therapists are better than others, so it would be best to call around and ask for one that has some training with this. Maybe your dr. could help you as well? :)