Calling Dguest

pearsjon

i am hving probs with sweaty palms everyday. i know i have pots,oi,ncs. i have also developed vertical ridging in my toe and hand nails. which i know can show kidney issues. doc won't tell me specifics of what type. i am worried there is something going on with the kidneys. am i onto something or just searching. i have not been feeling well for weeks. swelling and para;ysis have been bad also. i would appreciate any comments. thanks

Hi, Firewoman,

I understand your fear of something going on with your kidneys. I think something's up with mine, as well. I wouldn't be surprised, as I've been sick for over a year now (not just with POTS), and I have a history of chronic UTI's. I've been on the Kidney Foundation's website and have many of the symptoms for Chronic Kidney Disorder, plus, my blood creatinine and BUN are high. Yet, my doctor says I shouldn't worry. Well, I do, as anyone from here knows I will because worry about my health is what I do best.

Anyway, have you had your blood creatinine checked, along with your BUN? These are two really good markers for kidney problems. Watch, though, as many things can affect your BUN, like dehydration and even eating a lot of protein. I think creatinine can be affected by these things, as well, although that one depends on who you talk to. Have you been on the Kidney Foundation's website? They've got a lot of great information there, and you can email them and they will answer your concerns.

I wouldn't go strictly by what your fingernails are doing, as a number of things can cause fingernail abnormalities. I know this, as well, as I just had mine grow out from having lines in all of mine. Many things can cause weird things to go on with your nails.

Please, if you're feeling apprehensive, have your creatitine and BUN checked. Also, potassium, calcium and other things in your blood are good markers for kidney problems, as well. I can't remember them all as I sit here, sorry.

Take care. I hope this helps you a bit.

Lindajoy

Hi firewoman--if these are new symptoms for you that have not been evaluated by a doctor, I would suggest you contact your physician.

I know when I was very sick with POTS, even after diagnosis, I would get anxious about new symptoms. The best thing to do is to contact your doctor.

Hope you get resolution and feel better soon!

Katherine

Hi firewoman,

I think that if you were to have problems with your kidneys, your doctor would have notified you about it. If your creatinine, BUN, electrolytes and urinalysis are normal, kidney disease is very unlikely. As for the vertical ridges on your nails or the sweaty palms, I would not put too much emphasis on either as these, in the context of normal blood tests, are not signs of kidney problems.

Hi firewoman,

I think that if you were to have problems with your kidneys, your doctor would have notified you about it. If your creatinine, BUN, electrolytes and urinalysis are normal, kidney disease is very unlikely. As for the vertical ridges on your nails or the sweaty palms, I would not put too much emphasis on either as these, in the context of normal blood tests, are not signs of kidney problems.

ok, so as long as the blood work is normal then everything is good. right.

2yrs ago they found a 4mm cyst(they believe it si a cyst) in my kidney. explanation was that i was born with it. which i thought was strange cuz it wasn't on the probably 4 prior MRI's. when the last MRI was done there was no mention of the cyst in the radiologists report. now with the other things i mentioned at the atart of this post , was the method to my madness.

where did the cyst go?

and did they not go any further, cuz bloodwork was norm?

and also what is the difference when your bloodwork is always on the borderline mark?

within normal ranges, but barely?

just asking.

does it have to be off the scales to be remarkable?