Eating Problems

Valentine

Hi

I would just like to know as many talk of gastrointestinal problems which, i have had for many years but did not realise what they were!!!

Now that i have a POTS diagnosis could i ask does anyone have any tips for eating?

I have managed "just about" to carry on working even though i have been off at one point for 4 months. I have a desk job which to a point helps and i was just about coping again until a big flare up about a month ago. Food seems to be a real problem and also could i say when i move or get up or even turn head get a giddiness you might think yes that is a big problem for all but a blood pressure drop to me feels more like dropping in a lift but this is more like some has a hand on the nerve that travels up to the ear and squeezes it has anyone also had this kind of symptom.

Take care and many thanks for your time.

Valentine

Hi Valentine, I have found eating a large meal will get me every time, as will not eating at all. I eat frequent (about every two hours) small meals or snacks that have a good combo of carbs and protein and that seems to help a lot.

When I was first diagnosed, I lost over 50 pounds, and have never gained it back. It's a thin line sometimes between what will help and what will exacerbate. Good luck! morgan

I was on the BRAT diet for well over a year (Bread, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) until my health plan decided to sponsor a dietician to work with me. I would highly recommend going through the process to get this approved, appeal etc. I have a hard time finding food appealing and then when the nausea wanes, I eat like a rhino! Neither is healthy. A dietician was able to break down everything for me and even though I still run away from meat (too heavy!), my kitchen has more than just saltines now. This is a tricky thing that few people understand. Lettuce, apples- anything like that can be just hard to get down and stay down. Even multi-vits can be hard on the stomach. So- a dietician may be a phenomenal help to you also.

The other thing, it sounds like you are saying, is that you have BP problem associated with eating? This is post-prandial hypotension. There's been quite a bit of research in this field and this is a cardinal POTS symptom. From what I can remember, the only recommendation is to eat small meals and lie down after eating if you have the opportunity (hard to do at work, but at home- hey you get out of doing the dishes!!) Maybe others can remember more about this- but basically the blood draines out of your head and goes to your stomach. Even though it sounds opposite- I try and walk after eating. It seems to help the urge to just fall over!

Hope this helps!