Anyone With GERD?

I've come up with a new hypothesis and wanted to see if anyone here has severe GERD, bad enough to have been on either Nexium or Prilosec long-term like I have been? I am beginning to wonder about the body's ability to utilize B-12 and who knows what else when one is on these meds long term (since they cut stomach acid which is needed for helping us utilize necessary nutrients)? My hypothesis is, long term usage of these medications may have cut my stomach acid enough to prevent absorption of vital nutrients. Hence, POTS and other dysautonomias could result because of the nutritional deficit.

I have had mild bouts of this, and have in the past taken Prilosec. It always seems to clear up after only a few weeks or even days. I have also used licorice supplement (deglyccerised--sp?) and that helped more than Prilosec--and without side effects. Basically, the licorice coats the surface of the esophagus and soothes and protects it from acid and helps it heal. The side effect of licorice that is not deglyccerized (however you spell it) is that it will increase your blood pressure. Somehow licorice also helps with increasing blood volume, btw.

I think GERD is common in people with dysautonomia b/c the digestive system is regulated so much by the autonomic nervous system.

Katherine

I've been taking nexium for a few months now, and have bad acid reflux without it. I just developed stomach problems this year, even though I've had POTS over 5 years now. I, too, was a bit worried when I read that long-term usage could lead to B-12 deficiency. Studies have shown that B-12 deficiency can cause autonomic problems. I guess shots would work if your B-12 ever did get low, though.

Michelle

I've had heartburn since I was 9 years old. About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with GERD and an ulcer. I have been on prilosec and many others. Prilosec actually made my stomach very upset. I take 20 mg of pepcid everynight before bed or I wake up with an intense sore throat. I was actually prescribed 40 mg, once in the am and once in the pm. I'm able to manage in the morning because I don't normally eat then. If I eat in the morning I become very fatigued and need to lay down for a nap.

After my first bout with POTS 10 years ago (although it was unknown that it was POTS at the time), I was placed on Prevacid for two years. Then I was switched to Prilosec, and later Nexium. I have taken all of these off and on over 10 years. I don't know if they are the reason for my recurrence of POTS ten years later, or not. Howvever, I can tell you, I was not on any of these meds when I was hit with POTS 10 years ago, so I know they did not contribute the first time.

I have GERD reflux, pretty severe due to a small hiatal hernia. So far, after 10 years of taking these meds, I have not had any bad reactions, or side effects. Not sure if this will help any of you or not, but you can take my experience for what its worth :P Good luck to all of you!

Robyn