Supporting The Troops..

wareagle

Hi guys..I hope it's okay to post about this...I didn't figure it was really political or anything that would offend anybody. I'm really excited...I've "adopted" a solider through a support organiziation (I don't know if I can say the name or not so I'll wait for Nina or Melissa's okay on that). :)

I've wanted to do something like this for awhile but only recently started researching it. I found a wonderful organization that assigns you a solider to support. There is NO cost and there are different levels of comittment...for instance, I "adopted" a solider so I'm responsible for writing one letter a week and sending at leaste one care package a month for the length of their deployment (The care package can be as simple or lavish as you choose). If that's too much for a person to do then you can also join as a letter writer and simply indicate how many letters a week you can do and they e-mail you the name of different soliders every week. My solider is a female in the Air Force and I've been writing her for several weeks now...I can't tell you how good it feels to actually be able to DO something. Ever since I had to stop working (4 yrs now) I've been struggling to find things to fill my days and make me feel like I'm still contributing some how to this world we live in. It's so hard...especially on those days I can't even muster enough energy to sit up long enough to take a shower! I know this whole thing is supposed to be about supporting the troops but I must say I think I've gotten just as much from it as my solider!

Anyway, I just wanted to let ya'll know what I've been up to. I know that we're always trying to find hobbies and interesting low energy tasks to do. So many of you are such wonderful writers and have so much to share I thought maybe this would be something you'd want to think about doing! B) Take care my Potsy friends!!

Thanks for posting this--it's a sweet idea. I think it's obvious your supporting a person and not a political agenda. Feel free to post a link to the organization where folks can adopt a service person.

Nina

Okay guys..the name of the organization is "Solider's Angels" and the link is:

soldiers angels

This is just one of many support organizations for the troops...I read up on it before I joined and from what I can tell it's a good one!! Like I said before there is NO cost and you can tailor your involvement to suit your energy level! Let me know if any of you decide to do it...happy "adopting"! B)

thanks for sharing. i'm glad nina was okay with your posting the info or i might have had to beat her into submission :) .

i actually know a number of people serving overseas as - not sure if many of you know this - i was on an Army ROTC scholarship in my early college years (aka before my health completely fell apart). only relevant b/c it's how i know so many overseas now. i'm on in close touch with one person who is in JAG Core (aka an attorney in the army) & currently in Bagdad. we're able to IM sometimes online which baffles me, but he's in more of an administrative position so while obviously not in the safest place to be still but not the front lines either (his words, not mine).

anyway....thanks for letting us know about this michelle.

B) melissa

I just got assigned my service person and sent an email to him-- he's serving on a ship, so perhaps he's more likely to have access to email than those on land? Now I have to figure out what to send in a care package.

Nina

very cool nina :) i'm sure it is & will continue to be much appreciated...

Care packages are easy. :) I try to send two a month to my son in Iraq.

Things he has asked for:

Pringles (they pack better than bags of chips)

Beef Jerky

No chocolate (it melts by the time they get it)

Homemade cookies/goodies (I suggest vacuum sealing them. That way they still taste fresh when they get them)

Puzzle books (crossword, soduko, word search, etc)

Instant drink mixes to add to water bottles

Nuts, sunflower seeds, trail mix, etc.

DVDs

CDs

That's great Nina! My solider has an e-mail too and I've actually gotten a couple of responses from her already so I hope yours can do the same. I actually printed out a list of items for care packages from the "Soldier's Angels" forum. It's been really helpful in giving me ideas of items the soliders really need or like to receive. Some people get really creative and do theme packages..don't think I'm up for that yet...but they do have a lot of great ideas.

I'm so glad so many of you are interested in this. And remember there are a lot of orgainizations out there for supporting the troops..maybe even one in your area, so if this one isn't for you don't give up...there may be another out there that fits you better! :)

Actually, my soldier is serving on a ship, so he has access to more daily items than land based soldiers. I went to the Dollar store and to a few other department stores to get a few things like playing cards, chex mix, nuts, trail mix, snack cakes, and some word find and sudoku puzzle books.

Nina

• 4 weeks later...

There's another site called anysoldier.com, for those that have a hard time with getting a care package together. You can order them and a soldier's mom puts them together and sends them off. You have 100's of soldiers to choose from.

They want letters too. Someone (like a sargeant) delegates the care packages and letters to soldiers who don't get any mail. I actually got a letter from a soldier and it was such a day brightener! No matter how we feel about the war, these guys and gals can use all the support we can give them....thanks for your site, I will go on over there and make myself useful! morgan

HI! Supporting the troops is a great things!! My family has a close friend in iraqw right now, his mother is always sending him things, and as my energy permits i write him lots of letters, thats the thing he wants the most, so he can take them with him on missions!!

at my dads old job they made care packages for soldiers and i crocheted hats to send to them.

one word of caution about anysolidier.com anyone can register on that site, so some of them aren't really in the servicel. i found this out from my friend in the marines, sometimes they have no connection to the military at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my guy and he's right in the middle of things...YIKES. I send the care packages they make up, as I just can't get out and shop and mail and stuff. It makes it much easier.

I also got the bracelet and told him it would not come off my wrist until he set foot on American soil safely. They are very pretty. I bet something like you make Nina, and it has his name on it. Whenever someone comments on it, I use it to get a fire under them.

Finally, I feel a bit useful. What a wonderful thing this is....morgan