Lamictal (lamotrigine)

Yes. I know that. :(

My husband's friend is a psychiatrist and suggested I ask my doctor about it. I haven't cross-examined him yet about why he thinks it would be useful in my case, but he has seen me have a migraine attack. I think he knows that I don't have any seizure disorder, or bipolar disorder, or depression.

The psychiatrist thinks that lamotrigine has some useful properties that haven't been clarified yet. So I looked it up and found that it is a preferential inhibitor of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS). I found an article in JPET that says that in rats, nitric oxide presynaptically inhibits neurogenic norepinephrine release to modulate adrenergic neurotransmission. Okay, so it has some effect on the system that has gone wonky in my case. But I think it might make it worse, not better, because the prescribing information says that adverse events include (infrequently) postural hypotension, syncope, tachycardia, and vasodilation. So I think I'll steer clear of it unless I hear from other POTS patients that they have had good luck with it.

I actually just started taking it yesterday- I don't really have migraines but as my doctor is running out of options, I am trying it because of the unpredictability of my symptoms. I'm just on a low dose at the moment but will let you know if I have any adverse affects.

~Elle

I was in a study for patients with chronic pain and was on lamictal at a super low dose and just had horrendous fatigue and disorientation with it. I couldn't get above 1/4 of the dose they wanted me on b/c of the drowsiness. Apparently that was unusual but I know that a lot of us have sensitivities to a lot of drugs...