Epstien Barr Virus And Pots

hi i had mono when i was 14 pretty bad i see on the causes of pots list thats one of the options after somone has had mono.....i was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take after having mono to get pots...does anyone know if it happens right after mono or can it happen years later? also if youve had mono once can you get it again? i have a horrible sore throat and i went to the doctor today and i dont have strep but my throat is killing me..... maybe im getting mono again <_<

Guest tearose

Good question! I am curious too.

I had a bad case of mono when I was in first grade! I actually remember sharing the "offending" lollipop with my best girlfriend! We both got so sick!

I will try to think of the time line..I did pass out several times between childhood and adult dx.

I hope more people have information. I wonder how many had mono or Epstien Barr.

best regards,

tearose

My husband's NCS symptoms kicked into high gear 8 years ago after a bout of Epstein-Barr virus. From adolesence into his forties he had very infrequent occurrences of syncope or pre-syncope, mainly when he was run down, sick or "partied too hard with his buddies". That all changed after the EBV. We blamed it on that for a long time and I do think it was responsible for his increase of symptoms BUT he has an identical twin brother and his symptoms also increased in severity and intensity within about 24 months of my husband's- he did not have mono or EBV and when tested, his EBV levels were not elevated - so who knows.

My understanding on EBV is that almost all of us have been exposed to it at some point - some with noticeable symptoms (I had mono in college) and some with a mild form that isn't diagnosed. Then it lays dormant in our systems but it can reactivate.

Do a search on Epstein-Barr and you will find some previous posts. This is always an interesting topic to me.

I was completely healthy until I had Mono at age 24, then I was never the same. It took 16 years to be diagnosed with POTS, but I know I have had tachy issues for a long time. The tachycardia has increased with time. I do respond to immune therapy, so it triggered an immune system problem for me.

I don't know if that helps.

Rhonda

Hello,

I was healthy until I got mono as well. It almost always stays dormant in your body after having it but in rare cases can reactivate. You should definitely get some bloodwork done if your sore throat continues and you feel similar to when you did when you had mono the first time.

I know this story all too well. I got mono in college. I pretty much recouperated and then a couple of years later the infection reactivated. If you get bloodwork done the infection will show up as active again and they'll call it a reactivation.

I began passing out a couple of months after my reactivation.

I hope this isn't too confusing!

Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon,

Lisa

Hi,

There aren't any medicines that will help get rid of mono. They can only treat the symptoms. (such as taking Tylenol for your aches and pains)

Take care,

Lisa

Studies have found evidence to suggest that EBV attacks the immune system and makes it dysfunction. It may be worth your time to have someone test your immune system to see how it is functioning.

I would alway get a sore throat when I would flare up in the past and feel very sick like I did with Mono.

Rhonda

I was told by my doctor if mono was the culprit for my POTS it would have happened shortly after the mono viral infection.

Mono caused my immune deficiency, then repeated infections caused POTS. Of course, this is only speculation by the medical community, but it makes sense considering my history.