Soup Recipes?

pamyla

Hi everyone!

I used to get a lot of my sodium from canned soups, but I've had to give them up with my new diet avoiding soy and egg, and carbs like pasta. So, I have started trying to make my own soups. Does anyone have any recipes they want to share? I'm especially interested in vegetarian and poultry based soups.

Thanks!

Pam

Hi Pam,

Here's an easy soup recipe of my Mom's. She got it from a friend in Virginia, actually. The base is V8 juice, which has lots of sodium. She puts ground beef in, but you could easily omit that or put in chicken instead.

Hamburger Soup (or Hamburgerless if you prefer!)

1 1/2 lbs browned ground beef

chopped celery and onion

46 oz V8 juice

46 oz water

Bring to a boil, then add:

2 pkgs dry Lipton chicken noodle soup (side note: there are very few noodles in this dry mix, but if you want to

avoid them all together you could just add a chicken bullion cube)

1 small bag of frozen vegetables

1 can of navy or great northern beans

1/3 head of cabbage

Simmer.

This makes a lot of soup, so if your family is small you can just put a container of the soup in the freezer for later.

Enjoy!

Rachel

Hi there! Soup is one of my favorite foods!! And it can have just as much sodium as the canned versions, because it can hold so much salt without being overpowering.

I don't use recipes that often, but soups can be really simple to make.

I usually start with sauteeing an onion in olive oil along with some garlic (to taste :blink: ), then some bell pepper, maybe some zucchini, carrots, cabbage, and veggie broth (or boullion with water). Maybe tomato, but I also like clear broth with whole wheat pasta and cannelini beans. Or garbanzo beans. or kidney beans. Add herbs and salt to taste. Vary the veggies to suit your preferences- but basically pretty much anything you have on hand will work!

Another favorite: onion soup -sautee lots of onions and some garlic, add veggie broth, about 1/4 cup of soy sauce depending on the size of the pot (this for a medium pot) and whatever herbs and spices tickle your fancy (hint: rosemary goes great!). If you like the french onion style that is popular here, toast a bit of bread and top with cheese (I don't know what kinds they use, but I imagine provolone, brie, or pretty much anything you like will work) in the oven or toaster oven until the cheese starts to melt, and then put in the soup when you're ready to serve it. I like it with just some crusty whole wheat bread to dip in the soup.

BTW I know that too many refined carbs can be unhealthy, but whole grains are a vital part of our diet. So whole wheat pasta is pretty widely available these days, and whole grain bread (IMHO Rudi's multigrain and oat bread is the BEST presliced), as well as yummy grains like quinoa, brown rice, kamut, barley, and spelt. Most of them cook like rice, except quinoa which takes only 15-20 minutes. So I hope you're not trying to cut grains out completely. Unless you have sensitivities to them, and then rice, quinoa and corn might be a good bet (hint: health food stores sell pasta made from these grains, too!)

Last week I made a sort of Moroccan soup: onion, garlic, tomato, green beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, raisins, cinnamon, etc. It was pretty tasty served with couscous.

Play around a bit- it's usually pretty hard to mess up soup. :lol:

Pamyla,

I have found quite a few canned soups that don't have any allergens in them...if you want to avoid the cooking part. I hardly eat anything that my mom hasn't actually cooked, but it is a bit of a break for her!

I have found some of the Health Valley soups to be decent and they don't have anything but the vegetables in them--no additives at all. They now also have an Organic Vegetable one. Also, the Amy's brand has a lentil vegetable one that is really good and has nothing in it that would be an Allergen. If I want protein I will put in a hot dog cut up from one of our local free-range farmers or one of the ones you can buy that have no additives. I know, not the best thing, but it works.

These are certainly not as good as homemade!

Also, the Imagine brand makes basic soups like broccoli, tomato, and squash all of which I like. I've usually eaten them on the side with some other form of protein like Tuna or somethine.

None are like homemade, I'll give you that.

My mom just made a huge pot of beef vegetable which we are working our way through right now. Do you know how to do that? Or do you need a recipe?

She literally just throws stuff in. Starts with something like shortribs and those make the broth flavorful and the soup meaty. You can use fresh or frozen veggies (or a mix) depending on wha tyou have in the house or what you have the energy for.

I'm so spoiled b/c we mostly eat all homemade stuff and all fresh veggies in stuff, but I don't do the cooking and it's not realistic for some of us!

We have some super easy recipe for things like split pea and ham, lentil, etc. but I need a bit more specifics of what kind of soups you like. Then, maybe I can send you some recipes?

Let me know!

We are Jewish, so I eat a LOT of Jewish penicillan...Chicken soup! Which you can use rice noodles with or rice and also make it full of lots of chicken and veggies.

Also, I forget all the things you have to avoid. But, you have to watch the boullion cubes and also the chicken stock you buy to put in soups. I will look at what brands we buy that have no gluten if that will help.

Later alligator!

Emily

BTW, I DID disappear for a while and still need to psot under the Plaquenil post! I got really sick on it and herxed??????? My doctor is clueless as to why this happened. I'm a bit frustrated and scared that I can't tolerate anything! So, I am back to 1/2 tablet every third day. Grrrrr....

But on a good note...I reached 100 minos today! Only took me almost a year!

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for your responses :) Your soups all sound yummy! Rachel, I think I will try your soup this weekend. What a great idea to use V8 as a base!

Lukky, Onion and moroccan soups sound yummy, but I have to confess - I am the worst cook! You think soup can't be messed up, but trust me it can - lol :) I've unfortunately had a few mishaps, I seem to always add too much water, too many spices, etc, etc. So, if you have any recipes with specific instructions for those who are not so great in the kitchen - I'd appreciate it :lol: Also, what could I use in place of soy sauce? I've been struggling with replacing that condiment! As for grains, I tested borderline for having a gluten allergy, so I am trying to limit eating whole wheat, etc. I like quinoa a lot though :)

Emily, thanks for the suggestions on the canned soups. I might have to stock up on a few for those days when I don't feel like cooking. I did find a few soups I could eat from Trader Joe's, but unfortunately the ones I've tried haven't been that good - making me want to learn to be a better cook :lol: What your mom cooks sounds wonderful! And I never thought about rice noodles in chicken soup - yum, yum, definitely have missed the noodle soups a bit.

Thanks again everyone!

Pam

ps - Emily on the plaquenil - I herxed really badly on it too. I've heard it can increase the strength of your antibiotics, so maybe that is why? Or maybe it was killing the babs! Guess what I'll be taking next week - Mepron! UGH!!! I finally learned why I'm not feeling well lately - latest bloodwork shows babs and rocky mountain. I thought I was done with babs treatment, but unfortunately not quite yet :)

Umm I vary quantities a lot, so there's not a specific amount of spices that I stick to- just add a little and taste!! As for soy sauce, if you're abstaining from it for gluten reasons- FEAR NOT! There is such a thing as soy sauce without wheat- check out san-j's wheat-free tamari. Yummy!

Otherwise, Braggs Amino Acids has a pretty similar taste to soy sauce, I think it's not fermented or something, but it's also wheat-free, additive-free, etc. It's got less sodium, too. A boullion that I really like is Rapunzel's vegetable broth with sea salt. It's got enough seasoning in it that you could use 2 cubes in a pot and not really need anything else. But it is without lactose and MSG which you find in so many other stock cubes and cans.

Hello,

I have a great soup recipe.

I got it from Allrecipes.com and have made it quite a few times. Here's a link but I'll try to copy and paste it as well.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Torti...p-V/Detail.aspx

Take care,

Lisa

Chicken Tortilla Soup V

SUBMITTED BY: Betty

"An easy to make soup that's quite good. Fresh chicken and tortilla chips with vegetables. Makes for a delicious, warm soup. Try garnishing with cheese and/or a little sour cream."

Original recipe yield:

4 servings

PHOTO BY: Sheri S.

US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS

* 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

* 1/2 teaspoon olive oil

* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

* 1 cup frozen corn kernels

* 1 cup chopped onion

* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

* 1 tablespoon lemon juice

* 1 cup chunky salsa

* 8 ounces corn tortilla chips

* 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice and salsa. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

2. Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and a little sour cream.

Lukky, Thanks for the tip on the Rapunzel buillion cubes, I'll have to look for those. I did find some without gluten and soy but I think they still have MSG, so that'd be great to avoid that as well. Unfortunately my real reason for avoiding soy sauce is an allergy to soy :lol: I have already looked at Bragg's but it's still soy based... Soy sauce is one thing I really miss because I love sushi.

Lisa, That recipe sounds really good - thanks for posting! I think I can handle making that - lol :)

Thanks again!

Pam

My daughter is soy and milk allergic. The following is her favorite...chicken veg.

One jar of Prego speg sauce (check label for soy)

1 can of green beans

1 can of corn

1 can of diced white potaote

1 can sliced carrots

2 cups water

1/2 to 1 lb diced up cooked chicken

1/2 cup rice

salt/pepper to taste

about 1/8 cup sugar to taste ( cuts the acid)

Cook everything together but the rice for about 1 hour. Add rice and let cook for 10-15 min. Easy, quick and healthy.

My daughter loves this and so due her friends. Hope you like.