rapid pulse after meals

Radha

my heart starts beating so fast after i eat, even very small meals, sometimes when i'm too full, it beats very hard in my head, and its so painful, and then i use oxygen to help slow it down, which helps only sometimes, i already take toprol and digoxin, but still get these episodes daily, i have lost lot of weight because i eat so little, i'm so worried, and dont know what to do, have any of you experienced this and what helps, except of course not eating!! thanks

Radha, i'm 27 female,

This is very common with POTS. It's good that you're already eating small meals, that's one of the best things you can do. Have you paid any attention to what you're eating and how it corresponds with the rapid pulse? Many times carbohydrates and sugary foods are the culprit. Many of us are on low carb, sugar free diets only because it makes us feel better in general. I know for me, as soon as I eat rice, pasta, potatoes, or any high sugar foods I can rest assured I will get tachycardia soon after, which lasts 30 minutes to an hour.

What you describe is very common with POTS, as stated above. The formal medical term is "post prandial hypotension" (or low blood pressure following eating). This is presumed to be caused by your body's increased need for blood flow to the digestive organs--it shunts it from other areas and preferably sends it to the gut--if you're prone to low bp, this will sink you bp even LOWER. Also, in response to the dropping bp, your heart rate will speed up. That's the body's normal response to dropping bp--it protects the brain and major organs by speeding up the flow of blood (oxygen supply for the vital organs).

See the "what helps" section of the main DINET site to be sure that you've tried the standard treatments that are considered useful. Also, if your fast heart rate worries you, do be sure to talk to your doctor.

http://www.dinet.org/what_helps.htm

Nina