Eating Disorders and POTS

Guest veryblue

Guest veryblue

Did anyone else have an eating disorder before they got POTS? I used to be kinda aneroxic way back like 5 years ago. Could this have caused my POTS? I doubt it since it was so long ago...I mean it would have hit me then not now, but I am still curious. Thanks!

I am no expert on POTS, but I have never heard of anorexia being related to POTS. I think that by now there are enough people with POTS who have a pre-existing health problem that it's not unlikely to have more than one thing in your medical history -- i.e., anxiety disorder, epilepsy, MS, etc. The same thing happens with anxiety -- for instance, if you have that in your history, people (and doctors sometimes) think EVERYTHING you subsequently develop is related to anxiety or is another symptom of anxiety. As if people with anxiety never develop other health problems.

OK, enough of my ranting ... but I would not worry about your history of anorexia. I do hope that you have it resolved because personally I am losing a lot of weight with POTS, and if you are, that could be detrimental if you're not eating.

Amy

There is no known link between eating disorders and POTS or other autonomic disorders. Were that the case, POTS would be far more prevalent as eating disorders are far more common than POTS.

Nina