Something Else Called Pots Disease

P SUDIK

Hi everyone, has anyone heard of pots disease not "our" POTS ? Once when I had to go to the ER,they wanted to put me in isolation because they thought I had pots disease (not sure of the spelling,have not found it on the internet ), anyway ,it may have something to do with TB.Yesterday i went to the hospital for a procedure and of course ,not one dr. or nurse knew what POTS was. The dr. did however ,elude to this other pots. Also my sister asked her dr. if he knew about POTS. he also said something ,about this other disease having to do with the lungs. Anyone ever heard of this? Pat

Per, thanks for replying, now that you told me how to spell it Potts Disease , I have many hits on the internet , you were right about affecting the bones and it says it come from TB. thanks I was just curios since several people mentioned it. Pat

Pott's Disease was named after Percival Pott a surgeon from London, England (1714 - 1788).

It is tuberculous (TB) infection of the spine - usually it has spread from TB in the lungs.

Fortunately it is nothing to do with POTS - I think we've all got enough problems without adding Pott's disease to the list!

flop

Too funny,

I too had an ER resident pull out his palm pilot and say...."here it says you have infectious TB" and then he laughed and said, "thats nothing like you have been explaining to me are you sure you are telling me everything or are you just smarter than my little pocket medical dictionary?" We got a good laugh out of it, but I never researched to see what he could have found by mistake....I learned something new today!

Sheridan

My PCP was excited to find me a doctor that specialized in POTS. I waited almost a month for the appointment. The doctor walked in and introduced himeslf and said "I specailze in Potts disease. Unfortuneately, that's not what you have..." and then he explained that Potts was degeneration of the spine due to TB. So we waited a month and paid a copay to be told that I should be thankful I have POTS instead of Potts! (which I am... it sounds terrible!!!)

I went back and explained the difference to my PCP and told her to change my file to say "Partial Dysautonomia" instead of POTS so it wouldn't be misunderstood again. :)

~Melanie