Books On Positive Attitude In Disabling Illness--any Recommendations?

Canadagirl

I am still in the disbelief, grief stage of this diagnosis. (aka I cry alot and feel stressed and overwhelmed!

I want to have the best possible attitude because stress of course will only make things worse

Can anyone recommend a good book on coping, or affirmations, or dealing with disabling illness that they found to be uplifting and helpful?

Thank you.

"When Bad Things Happen to Good People" has helped me. But keep in mind that grieving is a natural part of acceptance, especially when it comes to losing one's health. I went though a grief stage for the first few months, but after awhile resolved that I WOULD get better and beat my illness. I've managed to stay in that frame of mind since then, although it is difficult to stay positive sometimes.

I really feel for you though! But remember that this too shall pass.

Hugs,

Lauren

Guest tearose

Hello dear Heather,

Warm hugs to you.

Does any particular type of poetry appeal to you? Spiritual writings or meditations?

I am not near my home bookshelf right now but how about reflecting on one phrase for now that will bring you optimism or help you reflect. Make up one of your own or you can have one of mine..."I cannot control what happens to me, I can only control how I respond".

From my journey, I have learned that no one book has the answers...the ultimate answer is already right there inside you!

Be gentle with yourself right now. Keep to a daily plan that you create for yourself. Surround yourself with comfy pillows, blankets and supportive people.

best regards,

tearose

Dear Heather,

I'm so sorry that you have to face all of this. The grieving process is normal and healthy. It's hard, but you'll get through it. And we're here to help you.

This isn't a book, but I thought you might appreciate reading this recent topic. It was on coping and moving on. Here's the link incase you want to read it: http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7598&hl

Wishing you better days ahead,

Rachel

Hello,

I just wanted to write and say hi and that you're not alone. I also have dealt with times of grief....adjusting to the reality of life with a chronic illness is very difficult.

I just finished a really encouraging (and challenging) book by a lady who is a quadriplegic. She has been paralyzed now for decades and continues to live a life of joy.

The title is "When God Weeps" by Joni Eareckson Tada

Take care and let us know how we can be an encouragement to you.

Lisa

Hello!

I am sorry you are struggling so. This topic has come up before...Here is one of the links (and a link within this link to MORE books!) Hope you find some of the titles helpful!

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4654&hl=

Emily

P.S. Nina or other 'volunteers'--how do I get the topic thread that I found to be underlined??? So she can just click on it???? A confuzzed Emily! :)

Dear Heather,

Since you asked about books, I have to be honest and say that the book that has helped me the most is the Bible. In it I find comfort, hope, and peace in the midst of grief and coping with serious health problems. And I find a reason to press on and not give up.

If you want to know any specific passages or reasons, please send me a personal message. I'd be happy to go into more detail.

Rachel

I heard a lovely interview recently with a guy named Daniel Gottlieb who wrote a book called Letters to Sam. Gottlieb is quadreplegic, and Sam is his autistic grandson. The book is about the lessons he's learned from his disability. I haven't read it yet, as my library hadn't bought it yet when I checked, but the interview was full of wisdom.

I also work with a therapist who specializes in patients with disabilities or chronic illness. She is wonderful, and has been enormously helpful.

Hi, I have been where you are now emotionally. It took me awhile to get to acceptance. I had to cut back at work dramatically, and try a lot of medications before things finally stabilized. When I stopped hoping for a return to normal health, I was able to accept my situation much easier. If you have young children, I found, "Cereal for Dinner" helpful.

Karyn

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

It will take me a while to research them as I can't get on the computer much.

My husband has ordered 'When bad things happen to good people" from the library as a start, and I will check out the others as I can.

I really appreciate everyone's ideas and input.

Thank you.

• 5 months later...