Butterbur

OCsunshine

Okay so I recently read in Prevention Magazine something about "Butterbur" ???

It's supposedly some remedy for migraines, and it also helps with allergy symptoms? I Googled it, and the articles I found say that it keeps blood vessels from inflaming (therefore helping migraines) and it helps reduce sinus/allergy problems.

If this is true and it works, I am going to do a little happy dance?!?!

So... what's the deal? Has anyone tried it? I would obviously ask my doctor before I took it, but I wanted some input on what anyone thought about it????

(I went to the organic store today, which usually has EVERYTHING, but they didn't know about Butterbur and it wasn't in their books, they said they couldn't order it... but I googled it and there are tons of sites about it)

Can't wait to hear some responses!!!

My neurologist recommended that I take Butterbur for my migraines. He said the only side effect that he found when he did a search was burping, and he said it caused him to burp when he took it. I have extensive medication hypersensitivities and allergies, so I did my own search because I figured it likely did have other potential side effects that he isn't aware of...and of course, there are other possible side effects. The main reason I won't be taking it is because you're not supposed to take it if you're allergic to ragweed, and I have a SEVERE ragweed allergy. I will definitely be letting him know so that he won't recommend it to others with ragweed allergy. Here's a link to the information and side effects of Butterbur: MayoClinic.com

Apparently, some people are finding that it helps their migraines, though. I hope it will work for you if you decide to try it. You should check with your doctor(s) first to be sure it's safe for you. Unfortunately, I don't have doctors to consult that are knowledgeable about my conditions, and I have to do my own research to try to prevent any further harm from medication reactions.

I forgot to mention that it might also cause liver and kidney damage with long-term use and cancer. I'm not telling you all of this to scare you, but so that you can make an informed decision.