Altitude Effects

India

I just got back from a trip up Haleakala on Maui. I was fine driving up. Felt o.k. walking about at the visitors center at about 7000ft. At the top--about 10,000ft--I was fine standing still. But as soon as I tried to walk, even on the flat, I felt terrible. I know altitude impacts even healthy people, but the people I was with were fine. I was not dizzy and did not have a headache, but I felt as if my breathing was severely impaired. It wasn't so much that I was breathing hard, it just felt that my breathing was somehow stuck and I couldn't breath. I have had breathing problems at home before now, but no one can diagnose the problem.

Is this POTS related? And if so, what is the mechanism that makes us extra sensitive to altitude?

India

I know that our hearts are working hard to get blood to our brain. In altitude, there is less oxygen density and the same amount of blood is not nocessarily supplying our brain with as much oxygen. Each of us has our own ways to adapt to this. I get more lightheaded, but others may get more tachy, etc.

Guest tearose

India...

I felt this way recently on a flights to and from Florida!!! It happened during the flight. It was a bit scary. I didn't know what was happening. I felt like I was trying to breathe and my lungs were expanding but I felt soo faint! I felt my heart flutter and my instinct made me curl up like in a hunched ball. I drew my legs up with my knees closer to my face and grabbed my calves. I remember mixing some instant electrolytes and water and staying leaned over for awhile. I just assumed it was due to the change in cabin pressure.

I do think you were effected by altitude!

take care, tearose

Hey there-

I suspect the "normal" people you were with would have felt the effects had you stayed longer. The lack of oxygen in the air means your body has to work that much harder to pump oxygenated blood around, and it was probably most immediately noticeable in your breathing, though I'm surprised you didn't notice your heart racing, unless your meds are good at keeping HR low. When you're breathing air with less oxygen, it can feel like you're not getting enough air in, so it seems harder to breathe. I'm from sea level, and whenever I come out here to Colorado to school, I spend the first few days getting used to 1) the altitude and 2) the dry air. It's only just over a mile up, but the mountains are right there, next door.

I have difficulty breathing sometimes, too- such that it feels like I'm not getting enough air. Often, but not constantly, and it seems to be POTS-related.

Anyway, the other problems associated with high altitude aren't always immediately noticeable. Usually you feel quickly like you're doing exercise, but it's not until a few days later that you might get the headaches, nausea, etc. It's very important at high altitude to drink lots of water. Not that you wouldn't do it anyway! :(

I had problems with high altitudes before, but when it happend I did not know it was related with POTS. I even did not know I had POTS... :)

The first time it happened, it was just a hill. I could not breath, was feeling exhausted, warm and with a light headache. I had to stop getting up. I felt perfect when we reached the normal level again. (I think that?s around 18 years ago).

The last time it happened, we already knew I could have problems with the altitude, though we did not know about POTS yet. We could not visit the highest part of the Mountain, as I started having problems with my breathing, was feeling lightheaded and with a light headache. I was also feeling warm and with nausea.

Since I know about POTS, I never thought about what happened to me when going to the mountains was related with POTS.

Thank you to recall it to me.

Love,

Tessa

Our bodies do not use oxygen as efficiently as "normal" people. That said, even the healthiest of people can be affected by altitude. I was in CO summer 2005 with my daughter visiting friends. We hiked (lightly, with kids) at 7,000 ft after a couple days of taking it easy and I was fine. But one day we went up to 13,000 ft and I was not fine. I developed a headache and nausea very quickly, and felt light-headed etc. We had to drive back down. As soon as we got to 10,000 ft I felt a lot better. It was sort of embarrassing b/c no one else was affected and the kids were all disappointed b/c we were looking for bighorn sheep and didn't get to see any. :(

The best thing to do is to adjust slowly to altitude before you try any activity--regardless of whether you have POTS or not--but probably even more important if you have POTS. Sudden large changes in altitude (like what I attempted) is probably not a good idea if it can be avoided. It is really important to stay hydrated, as dehydration is easier at higher altitudes.

Must have been a great trip! Some of the most stunning places on earth are at high altitudes--making it worth the trip as long as you take care of yourself!

Katherine

• 11 months later...

I'm having a rough time with car travel right now, and when we were driving through mountains with changes in elevation, I felt I could barely breathe and my chest really hurt during and after. How weird. It improved if i kept swallowing to pop my ears, but I've never had this symptom before.

Altitude does effect me and my POTS symptoms. I am originally from a small mountain town near the continental divide and I developed POTS while I lived in Florida. The last time I was home I was very ill. I do OK down in Denver but much higher than that and I have problems.

There is just less air at higher altitude. Even a healthy persons body has to work harder to get the right amount of oxygen to your head. People who live at altitude have more red blood cells to carry oxygen, as well as a better cardiac output. Everything works more efficiently because it has to. Its the reason why the olympic training center is in Colorado Springs. It takes more work to get the same amount of oxygen than at sea level.

In a dry climate its even worse because your body is dehydrated from the dry air.

Funny, I went to Haleakala in 1995 and didn't have any problem. That was a decade before I developed severe POTS, though I often wonder whether I had it before my symptoms became severe...but maybe I didn't.

I have 2 close friends (non-POTS) who have separately gotten altitude sickness when they went skiing - they had vomiting, headaches, fainting. Since my onset of POTS, I've avoid places of altitude just to be safe. It sounds like you made it through with some symptoms - but probably worth it!