Going To The Dentist !!!!

Rose

I have an broken tooth and went to the dentist yesterday, well guess what? It was terrible, I almost passed out, my blood pressure went down, and they told me they couldn't help me because of my condition. (auto failure) I'm terrified of going to get my tooth done, any hints? The dentist I talked to today said that he would put me on a IV, then I could relax since stress is so risky. This is scary!!!!!

I had wisdom teeth removed not too long ago. Because of the POTS I had to have the procedure done in the hospital, but other than that it was a snap. The IV solution they gave me kept me feeling really good throughout the whole procedure. Just make sure you are on an antibiotic before they work on that tooth. Your heart can have a tough time with any of the bacteria that might get into your bloodstream from your mouth.

I have had a great deal of dental and endodontal work done, and I have never required ANY premedication with antibiotics, even when I had a bone graft done in my jaw bone by the endodontist. If you are afraid to go to the dentist, some sedation might help, as your dentist suggested. Like you, I have a fear of dental procedures and a little medication goes a long way to keep me calm.

Nina

Good luck Rose---I hope you can get the dental work done as stress free as possible. I think if you have a dentist that is patient and understanding -----he would me more the willing to do whatever it takes to make things as comfortable as possible for you. I won't go to a dentist that is dismissive of my problems with different medications---and dental procedures. I have more to deal with then POTS issues, my whole neck--cervical/cranial area is a mess, and the dentist has to be very careful with my neck due to instability from the EDS. It helps to have a dentist familiar with MVP---because they may have some knowledge of POTS/OI conditions also. I wish you the best..... :)

Nina,

What do you take to help keep yourself calm for the dentist appointments?

I have klonopin already---but this is to help me with the nighttime jitters. It did not work very well when I went to the ER once---or for a test--------------my heart rate was still up, and I still had some anxiety. I do fine on some dental procedures---fillings, cleanings ect.

At some point if they have to do a root canal of something ^_^

Maxine :0) lazydentist.jpg

I was given at small amount of ativan at the doctor's office before i had dental surgery. We also have several different sedation dentistry places within a half hour of where I live...I haven't used them, but I know quite a few who have and really recommended it.

Nina

Sorry, it is MVP that requirest the antibiotics. I have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome, but I consider it to be the same thing as POTS (I have been diagnosed with POTS also). I don't quite comprehend the importance of it, but I've been told enough times that I need it before dental procedures that I parrot the warning to others.

Thanks Gals, All the imput really does help, Somedays this thing just gets me so angry! I go on Thursday to talk to this new dentist. I think just the stress of going is bad enough!!! I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everybody, I don't know what I'd do without all of you!!!