Girls Only

ckteach

Has anyone studied why it is that girls seem to be affected by this primarily?

Also- mididrone seems to be the drug of choice. I am starting it today. Are there major side effects?

Also.... anyone get dizzy trying to track objects with your eyes? I know my neck is involved in this somehow....

Thanks and happy holidays!

HI! I don't know why mostly girls are affected. But I do know that with Midodrine you have to watch out for high blood pressure. I had to stop taking it b/c no matter how little I took my bp would soar! It was very frustrating, but other than that it is an easy med to take!!

As for your eyes, I used to have that problem and found out that I needed extensive vision therapy. I went to therapy twice a week for it, for almost 2 years. My eyes couldn't converge (cross) no matter how hard I tried, that was one of the reasons I would get so many headacheas and get so nauseas! Also, one of my eyes alignd higher then the other. Maybe you should have an eye dr check your eyes to see if you need therapy?

Hope this helps

Madeline

A speculation is women seek medical care more often than men and thus, are diagnosed more often. Pregnancies, menstral irregularities, hormonal issues recquire medical management therefore, as a generalization women are more in tune with their bodies and seek medical care more often than men. Those same "hormonal issues" can trigger autonomoic dysfunction so this is another possible reason why women are diagnosed more frequently with POTS. However, in my case my dysautonomia isn't POTS and is more common in men so as always there are variations to every norm.

Carmen

There isn't scientific evidence to support the 97% number you quoted... one cannot surmise that more women are affected even if we have mostly women here. Generally, women seek moral support more openly than men, at least in english speaking culture... so, most support forums have more women (with the exception of forums for disorders that are male-only, like prostate cancer).

Additionally, with regard to heritable disabilities, the numbers are opposite of what you're saying... males outnumber females in specialized education services by about 4 boys to every 1 girl--so in my autism classrooms, it's common to have only boys in a class of 6 students... The most girls I've ever had in one class of 6 children is 2 girls; more common is that my classrooms are 6 boys and no girls.

Regards, nina

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, it does seem to affect women more than me, could be hormonal, cause mine seemed to really kick in after my hyst. I am currently lowering my doseage of florinef, only to be afraid of changin to midodrine. I have had vision prob lately which i never had, sometimes i go to type on her like now and it is hard to focus, so not sure if its the meds or what. but i agree with nina that it could affect lmore men but if we all know most men will endure pain, and other prob out of thinking it isnt a manly thing to go to the doc like us women and complain!!

Donna

cindykron, this is from pub med--also search "Bow hunters syndrome" there

Comment in:

Neurology. 2004 Jun 8;62(11):2143; author reply 2144.

Mechanical compression of the extracranial vertebral artery during neck rotation.

* Sakaguchi M,

* Kitagawa K,

* Hougaku H,

* Hashimoto H,

* Nagai Y,

* Yamagami H,

* Ohtsuki T,

* Oku N,

* Hashikawa K,

* Matsushita K,

* Matsumoto M,

* Hori M.

Division of Stroke Research, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan.

Using duplex ultrasonography (US), the authors showed compression of the extracranial vertebral artery (ECVA) during neck rotation in 5.0% of 1,108 patients. Age (per 10-year increase, OR 0.80, 95% CI 0.67 to 0.96), vessel diameters (per 0.5-mm diameter increase, OR 0.63, 95% CI 0.51 to 0.79), and symptoms upon neck rotation (OR 4.01, 95% CI 1.35 to 11.9) were associated with vessel compression. In one case, SPECT revealed decreased cerebral perfusion of the hindbrain during rotation. ECVA US is useful in identifying vessel compression, especially in patients with symptoms on neck rotation.

PMID: 14504337 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]