Average Age Of Pots Patients?

Maxine

Hi,

How many of you are middle aged with this--------------or were diagnosed in your late 30s early 40s----or even later? Out of my experience of meeting many people who have come to Toledo to see Dr. Grubb----most of them were over 30, and I only met a couple who were very thin--even some of the folks with gastroparesis. However, awareness probably wasn't there when these folks were in their 20s---and many went untreated, and were continuously dismissed or abused by the medical community. I don't say this just because of my own personal experience, but out of seeing what others have experienced.

I'm just curious---------------although I think I have had "POTS" all my life, I really wasn't aware until the early 80s that something was wrong-----and at the time I was diagnosed with MVP-----------but after more opinions, this turned out to be the wrong diagnosis at age 22. It wasn't until I had crashed-----(at age 41) in Dec. 2000 that I started on a mission to find out what was really wrong. Finally at (age 42) I was diagnosed with POTS.

As you can see by my signature line I have more going on then POTS. One thing I learned is that POTS can often be a result of something else physically wrong. :ph34r: It affects many age groups, and there are other forms of dysautonomia that can also have serious and life long consequences.

Maxine :0)

Hi, Maxine:

Boy, I wish I knew; that would help me understand the etiology of this illness in my life. I started blacking out (pre-syncope) at age 10. Diagnosed as being tall and thin. :D At 17, I suffered severe back pain, upper and lower as well as severe fatigue. FINALLY diagnosed as fibromyalgia at age 21. At 30, my severe fatigue returned, dismissed as fibromyalgia until my rheumatologist noticed I was short of breath, too. Diagnosed as asthma at age 31. Around the same time, my legs started turning purple, and then, shortness of breath would not go away despite normal peak flow. Diagnosed as POTS at age 32, November 2006.

I'm pretty much clueless! :ph34r: