Beta Blockers...heart Rate Changes

nikigrl8883

hi i am currently on atenolol 12 mgs which isnt much and it seems to stop the tachy for the most part but lately the heart rate resting has been a little on the low side like 50s when i stand 70s low 80s how do i know whether or not to cut down thee dose ....i mean if i wasnt ont he beta would my heart rate be that low i wonder....maybe im getting better ! just maybe but i doubt it lol...ive only been sick since may its been 7 months....i still feel lightheaded alot especially when i go out or get overstimulated i get cold sweats and i feel faint,... ive never actually fainted....camw close though a few times....ive noticed i feel like im moving alot like slowly moveng not the room around me just me...its not like vertigo where things are spinning....i dont think i have an ear problem so i dont know i think its the dysautomia....thats what disables me...i cant work becasue of that its impossible and if i got nervous it would get ten times worese

no one can/should tell you to cut back (or not cut back) on medication except your doctor.

that said, most docs wouldn't be concerned with a heart rate in the 50s in and of itself. that doesn't mean that it can't cause problems for some people. but if it's not making you more symptomatic try not to get too worried about the number in and of itself. while i may have had some precursers of dysautonomia at the time, when i was generally pretty darn healthy my HR used to be in the low 50s consistently as a competitive swimmer/runner and it was never problematic at the time.

a beta blocker is meant to lower HR though so chances are that it is contributing to your lower HR. this could be a good thing. as to whether it's lowering it too much, you need to talk with your doctor.

if you're feeling MORE lightheaded on the beta blocker it could just as easily be from low BP as the lower HR as beta blockers can also lower blood pressure. if you have your own BP monitor you can check this yourself but again it's something that only your doc can make decisions about. a good number of people take beta blockers to lower HR in conjunction with a med to raise blood pressure. again, something to potentially talk with your doctor about.

hope this helps,

:blink: melissa

fyi, lower bp when lying down (up to a point) is actually a normal physiological reaction that happens in "normal" folks.

:blink: melissa