Might Have Found My POTS Culprit

Guest veryblue

Guest veryblue

Hey I just think that my GP might have stumbled on my POTS culprit! I can never breathe...my sinuses are always clogged...at first we thought it might be allergies, but I went to an allergist an he comfirmed that I am only allergic to cats (which I dont have and absolutly hate...sorry cat lovers) and ragweed. (But then again who isnt allergic to ragweed?) Anyway they took a CT of my sinuses and found that I had a major sinus infection...it is starting to heal itself on my own now but I will be on antibioticics. It all makes sense now...an infection thats the main cause of POTS...viral or bacterial infections. Way back in September of 03 I got a swollen lymph node on my neck and my nose was really stuffy and red...tons of post nasal drip and headaches behind the eyes. (sinus area) The doc thought it was an infection and gave me keflex. Unfortunatly I had a bad reaction to them after the second day. The doc told me not to worry about it cuz it was not that bad and my body would most likely fight it on its own. Ha well that was september and I still have that dang lymph node on my neck today...same size (possibly a tad bit smaller) shape; you name it. Anyway I had my first POTS attack in January. The whole week before I had my attack, I was taking Claritan-D yeah the kind with 240mg of psuedoepherinine in it...oh and I felt great while on it. If my POTS was comming on then, there would be now way that I felt so great while on that much of a stimulant. I even went to a doc for a regular check up a week before I had my attack...everything looked fine...pulse was up a bit at 80 and BP 124/80...thanks to the claritan. If my nervous system was acting up then it should have been higher. I got a headache that stayed for 4 days before I got my POTS attack...right behind the eyes...my sinuses acting up I presume. Well I know it is my sinuses cuz when I go home to California then I feel better...not as POTsy...but here in the midwest I feel a little bit worse. I all makes sense now. All this termoil caused by an infection. I an hopeful that I will make a full recovery because I was most likely infected by my sinuses and I am not that bad off right now. Oh and I dont do anything to help my self...I dont eat a lot of salt, I dont sleep a lot, the only thing I do is take my beta blockers. Oh and I still go to school, work part time as a server in a restuarant, and even play on a softball team. Granted there are days when I want to pound my head into a wall, but for the most part I am functional...miserable but functional. Well just wanted to share my findings with you. Any comments?

VeryBlue,

I would love to hear how you are a month from now, after the strong antibiotics have had a chance to kick in.

I truly hope the infection caused your situation and you can be free of the symptoms forever after. (What I wouldn't give to be rid of this!)

The SAME thing happened to me! I had sudden onset over 2 years ago, and my doctor was convinced that some type of infection must've caused it to surface. Since I hadn't been sick in months, I couldn't quite understand- but two months later I had a MRI done and he found a major sinus infection that I didn't even know I had. I was put on 2 strong antibiotics and actually felt better after that- but of course I still have POTS! I think getting rid of any infection in your body will help you feel better at the very least.

Let us know!