High Standing Heart Rate

cardiactec

hey all,

i know someone (seriously, it's not me!) who has high heart rates when she is upright but is not symptomatic at all (lucky her i know). all she has a mild sensation that her heart is beating. she had a tilt and other than the high heart rate and palps (ALL sinus tachycardia by the way), she had no other symptoms. the doc i guess didnt really diagnose her with anything?? he thought maybe inappropriate sinus tachy, but usually that occurs in all positions, not just with upright tilt position.

do you think this could still be POTS even though she isnt symptomatic but has a MORE THAN 30 beat point increase in heart rate (i think her rates standing she said are like 150) ? i know that the criteria for pots is usually just that (the 30 point or more increase in rate) but the criteria also includes symptoms in the upright position. ??

That describes me, as well. I've had periods where I'm very symptomatic. But, now, Thank God, a high HR upon standing is my biggest symptom. I exercise (walk at least 20 miles a week) and drink water until I'm swimming. Oh!, I also salt the dickens out of everything i eat. I think your friend has POTS and is very lucky.

Julie

You can be symptom free and still have POTS. 30 BPM is just the magic number they came up with but people have be known to go higher and they are still POTS, I've been up to 160 recordered. It just sounds like she might not have the whole Dysautonomia package yet with her POTS, knock on wood that she doesn't get it :huh:

a doc told me once that pots is only diagnosed when a patient is symptomatic ALONG WITH a 30 beat or more increase in heart rate from supine to standing position. i have seen docs write in their reports on tilts (and i have seen tilt reports myself with very high heart rates when upright to fairly normal heart rates when supine) that patients are ''negative'' for pots (cuz they werent symptomatic) and considered dehydration or chronic fatigue the primary diagnosis (after they had ruled out the biggie factors such as heart disease, addisons, pheochromocytoma, etc).....

my electrophysiologist wanted me to talk to one of his patients (the only other patient he thought that "might have pots" that he sees) just to ease her mind about the significance of pots long term (not going to kill you type convo) but he told me the scenerio of what was going on with her, that he was still in the process of trying to diagnose her. i asked him what her rates were like when she stood up and he said that her rates didnt jump like crazy as mine do when she stood from a supine position but that just simply walking down the hall set her heart pitter pattering to 160, so he thought it was more of an inappropriate sinus tachycardia ?? personally i thought there was an overlap btwn the two? her heart rate might not have surged from supine to standing, but after she was upright and walked just a couple steps, her rates went crazy. i guess that still couldnt be pots???

personally i think docs get a little too technical with this condition which is really off the mark in diagnosing people who have this i believe, and i do think the person i know with her heart rate issues has pots. so i agree with those of you who responded to this post.