Scared Silly In Maryland

laila

Hi,

All of a sudden a couple weeks ago I noticed my arms were starting to hurt and feel weak, ie: brushing hair, reading in bed, and now my arms and legs are really weak and wobbly. Stressors have been real bad for me also. But have never felt this way before. I had actually just seen a neurologist before that and am due to go in Thursday, for Migraine stuff. All of a sudden it hit me real hard today and I got scared. I have had CFS and Fibromyalgia for years and never felt this bad. Could I be spiraling into polymyostis or something? I have been working extra hard around the house but overdoing has never caused this before, just temporary fatigue. My arms hurt just to type. Like all my muscle are pulled. Should I wait till monday or go the the dumb er. I guess since I can breathe and swallow ok it is not life threatening. My neck muscles have been hurting too. Too much computer? dumb old sickness.

My arms get the same way. Like when I wash my hair, I have to put my arms down to rest a few times, my arms get tired. I have fibromyalgia also. My Rheumatologist also diagnosed me with thoracic outlet syndrome. Go to www.arthritis.org and type in fibromyalgia in the search bar. You can get all kinds of information there. My Rheumatologist didn't give me any meds, thought I was on enough already, she gave me that website I gave you, said learn all I can, and go from there. Here is a website about thoracic outlet syndrome http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet...ome/article.htm

Dar

Instead of remaining frightened and worried, can you possibly call the doctor up and ask what he thinks you should do?

There's a few things I can think of, but I'm no doctor and I do not want to say something that is harmful or wrong.

I hope you get to the bottom of this real soon as it's scary to feel your body losing strength.

BTW, I live in Maryland too. Do you have a neurologist that you see?

I would call the doctor. It may not be serious enough to go the the ER, but for peace of mind, I would call the doctor and describe the symptoms and see if you can get in sooner-or if they recommend you go to the ER. I have definitely had flare-ups where I feel weak and my muscles hurt, but for me it passes after a day or so. But we are all different, and you may have another problem going on that only a doctor can determine.

BTW, I also live in MD.

Katherine

I think if you go to the ER they're probably not going to be able to help you. ER doc's are good with stab-wounds or car-accident victims, but not with new, chronic illness type symptoms. You'd probably feel like you wasted a lot of time and money if you went.

Can you call your doctor? That seems like the best thing to do. However, if the weakness gets to the point where you're having trouble breathing etc. you should definitley seek emergency care.

I hope you figure out what's happening :)

-Lauren

Thank you all for your kind replies and the website. I will call my neurlogist tomorrow. I have felt better today after a long sleep but something seems off....just not normal. The ER idea is out, I agree unless its really bad that would be a big waste of time. I guess I had a mild panic attack. Today I went around town and took care of errands with dear sweet husband, so I would have more free time tomorrow, I was working myself into a frenzy cuz too much to do. I did fine with walking and even cooked supper but the arm and leg stuff still there. Yes, Futurehope, I see a neurologist in Crofton, I beleive we both saw a Dr. K near Baltimore at one time, I remember talking to you about that. I found a great cardiologist in Crofton who diagnosed me with POTS and has been a big help, he is so nice, it was a miracle to fianlly find someone. I was just recently referred to the new neuro, who seems ok so far, just a little abrupt and well, you know, like most doctors. I have recently found a gem of a pyschiatrist, and PCP, too so I guess I'm getting spoiled. I know one thing, if this guy tries to blow this off or won't test further I will find someone else. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again for the support. You can only find here. My husbands great but he can only take in so much, no one really understands how frustrating all this is except the one's living it.

OK Well I saw the neurologist today, as I expected he tried to tie my symptoms to fibromyalgia,CFS but he did order some blood tests, for muscle enzymes, electrolyes, and SED rate was all I caught. He had never heard of using Singulair as a preventative for migraines, and again said he would try to work on one problem at a time, as I have come to him for the migraines, muscle problems, and shaking/trembling upon awaking. He wants me try 100 mg on Neurontin a night for now. I had tried the 300 mg and felt like I was completly zombied out. So we'lll see. I feel better but the arm thing is still there.....I think he saw me trembling but I was more nervous that I would get brushed off. I feel a bit better knowing he did some tests.

Ok well I posted about this before but its way on page 2 now, I had noticed my arm fatigue and pain which was hardly there, has gotten worse, to the point where I could barely type last weekend. After a lot of rest I feel better, my arms still feel worse than before. A steady slow noticable thing. I saw the neurologist today and he did order a few blood tests, I heard electrolytes, muscle enzymes, sed rate....I should have asked his nurse if that was it. I have CFS and Fibromyagia too, but for 10 years it hasn't really changed much except the pain level in legs is bad everyday now, to where I have to take 1 ultracet pill a day. Will those tests show if anything is seriously wrong? Thanks for any advice! He wants me to try 100 mg of Neurontin, and work on just one problem at a time, as I have gone for migraine help, the above, and severe shakes and trembling in the morning despite using xanax and beta blockers. He seems a little abrupt but at least is doing something...

Whoops I just noticed my scared silly post did move up. ...sorry about repeating things.... :P