Riding Horses?

roxie

My DR has told me for awhile now that one of his patients used to ride horses all the time, got sick and couldn't. Then one day, she just decided she was going to and soon she starting feeling better then she had in years.

Well I'm finally going to have my first lesson tomorrow, and I'm wondering has anyone else tried? Has it helped?

~Madeline

I rode horses 5 days a week before getting sick. Even as I started to get sick, I still tried to ride...but it was really bad for me. Riding on the back of a horse puts a person in a similar position as if they were standing, and while it uses leg muscles, the use of those muscles doesn't really help to pump blood back to the body. Plus you're being jostled around by the animal and have to concentrate on what your arms and legs are doing at the same time. Not to mention that if you faint you've got a several foot fall and four powerful legs with hooves to contend with.

Honestly, I'd think running would be more beneficial than riding...in other words, it's a bad idea for POTS, but I'm not a doctor.

WOW! i can NOT imagine riding horses?! I had them 30 years years ago and road Huntseat and Western. Western had a saddle horn to grab onto but putting it on the horse wore me out. EVen back then I had bad upper body strength. I preferred Huntseat saddle..lightweight, but I digress.

I now have lightheadedness/dizzieness issues really bad. Even the most well trained beast could spook if a person fainted on them.

I can not imagine encouraging horse riding for POTS. You have to be quick, savvy and have a great seat i.e. good balance!.

With a 1500 lb animal, hard ground, and a case of getting vertigo on horses dangerous combo.

Then again, I realize we are all different. But you need all your faculties about you in my book for horses. Even if it comes second nature to you, and you are a great rider, it would be difficult. Especially with the visual dimming, etc.

Hope you have great balance..not to mention stamina. :ph34r::blink::unsure:

Exercise is fine with a helper if you faint and controlled surroundings if you do not. Hope you are sure of your decision. I am endeavoring a treadmill (I can hold onto ) and some lower body machines.

Hi Madeline :ph34r:

I had my own horse for years (riding English - my horse was a hunter-jumper) It was at one time a very big part of my life.

I would caution you to be very careful also. You have to be extremely alert riding a horse at all times as you are in full control and must think for both of you. (brain fog or being on medications would be hazardous) In English you 'post' when you trot which would be the equivalent of getting up and down out of a seat using only the inner thigh/knee over and over again. I know that today I could not do it. :unsure: Your body is never relaxed when working a horse (except maybe pleasure riding??)

I don't know the level of functioning you have with this disorder but unless you only mildly affected by your symptoms, I would not recommend it.

But.....under very controlled conditions who knows???

Just be very careful and I hope you have a great time tomorrow!!! :blink::):)

Maggs

Hi Madeline,

Riding has helped me get back into physical shape, it helps me mentally as well. I've ridden for years and when I stopped I actually got worse.

Are you going to be taking lessons at a therapeutic riding facility? Be sure to tell your instructor about your condition. Don't forget to wear a riding helmet!!!

I'll be looking forward to hearing how your lesson goes.

Have a GREAT ride! :-)

Carol

P.S. The Parelli natural horsemanship program has helped me a lot with focus and balance.

Hi Madeline!

Well I have to say I was happy to see this post! I one time heard that a dr had said that riding would be good for the leg muscles.... however not my dr. Anyhow prior to me being sick, June 05, I was a full time trainer and showed extensivley all over the midwest, and then wintered in FL for there season. I would ride like 8 horses a day, and also was a maneger at a farm in FL- so I was VERY into the riding- it WAS my life. Then Last summer the POTS just hit really hard, however i had one horse that was souley mine- and it was the best thing to have. Riding clearly is my passion.... and having that horse MADE me get out of bed every morning and go and ride- some days I would get on and ride for only 10 mins and get off- but I always made myself do 10 mins- it was weird- but sometimes I would just get over that 'hump' and other days I couldnt- getting over that hump was VERY hard, and painful- but I made myself do it. There where days tho when my arms hurt to much to even pick up the reins... or I got dizzy and when I felt something like that come on- I Immediatly stopped. Once we got the symptoms somewhat under control with meds I was able to increase the amount of riding I did. I now ride 3-5 horses everyday. But its weird- cause usually that first horse is a killer- its like getting over that hump- but when I do I feel more energized and ready to go- its that 'after excercise' energy burst. So personally the riding has been the best thing for me- I have never once been bed ridden- but I know that it is becuase I HAVE to go and ride that one horse. I know that my dr sort of mentioned to my mom for me to be really careful- but at the end of the day, for me I needed to be happy.. and the riding was the only thing that made me feel good in a painful part of my life. There are still many days where I feel so beat to do it- but I always try..... They are actualy adding horses to so mayn theraputic and mental clinics becuase the riding is so good for the balance, mind, cordination, strenght, ect ect So I guess go with what feels right to you... for me- I know all the dangers- but I have just as many when I get in that car, or attempt to bike ride, or do the stairs. Good luck tommorow... and let me know how it went for you!! :unsure:

Duh, I did not know it might be a THERAPEUTIC lesson in a controlled environment. Of course that would be good horse therapy. :unsure:

I just have too much tachycardia/dizziness to be SAFE on a horse or energy to groom and tack first!? and ride an individual type of lesson.

Good luck if you get to do this.

Maybe not quite the same but I read once about a man who had CFS etc and he went on a trampoline, it shocked his nervous system and he was well from then on. Amazing!

HEY!! My lesson went really well today! I have a trainer,who is one of my good friends sister, and I'm getting to know my trainer too. She took alot of time to talk about my problems and make sure everything was comfortable! I only rode for 15 minutes, but I really liked it! :unsure: And it didn't make me feel like I thought it would.

I thought I would be in more of a standing position, but it felt like a crouch or a cross between sitting and standing. I got slightly nauseas and only felt dizzy once I got home. On the horse I didn't feel faint, on it and for awhile after I had this invigorating/relaxed feeling! It made my muscles feel weak though, I def. have to spend some time strengthening them!

But its something I'm going to give more of a try, we'll see what happens!! :ph34r:

Madeline