Exercise Heartrate,

mom4cem

Hi,

Any of exercisers out there measure how fast your recovery heartrate is after exercising of any type? Have you taken your rate before exercising, during and then how fast it goes back to normal after stopping? I was wondering if there is any particular guidelines for those with dysautonomia? I'm supposing we don't have have normal recovery times, since we don't have much normal of anything.

The more consistently you exercise, would that help to decrease the recovery time of our heartrate?

Anyone know?

i will try to get my results that were printed from my stress test. i will share that with you but it will take until the middle of october before i can do so because they are in dc and that is the next time i go there.

i will try it for you sooner though. hopefully i don't faint but perhaps i could tell you what it is when i faint as well from excercising.

dionna :huh:

i recently began exercising again (before a POTS hole last week).

here is how i began exerecising after not having done so for a really really long time :huh: & what i found works well for me: i have a treadmill that keeps track of my HR. i know a lot of ppl dislike using treadmills, but it was a good compromise for me because i can walk whenever (middle of the night if i wanted to!) and be in my home if i start feeling faint, POTSy, or whatever. (Then i'm not in the middle of nowhere with no way back to safety). there's a pull-tab like thing that stops the treadmill immediately if removed from its base, so that is another good safety measure for me. and when i first started, even though i was going S-L-O-W i had someone in the house who could help me if i got in trouble.

i also wear very very loose light clothing so i don't overheat and have a fan blowing on me during. and afterward, i get into a cool shower to help vasoconstrict and lower my HR. i drink a little bit of gatorade before, too. (it's watered-down for me b/c i have the hyperadrenergic type of POTS, which means really high BP & HR w/o meds). i drink a lot of fluids after showering.

my HR before beginning was generally in the low 60's, and would go to 130's/140's during, and starts dropping after. i generally feel totally normal after my shower. i have even experienced the "exercise high" (which freaked me out the first time it happened! :) ). i would generally have better days when i exercised and felt good. of course these are just my numbers....i would expect everyone is different. and i would caution everyone to *be careful, start slow, talk to your doc and have a buddy w/ya*

good luck!! :) lulu

I don't check my heartrate anymore when I exercise. My doctor has never felt I needed to in my case. He just kept pushing the exercise, since strengthening and toning is important to recovery from POTS, and I have/had no ther condition that would prevent me from exercising. I would say that now that my POTS has improved overall, I have also noticed that my heartrate recovers pretty quickly following any exercise, whereas before it seemed to take a longer time for my heartrate to "normalize".

I 2nd Lulu--definitely check with your doctor before beginning an exercise regime.

Katherine