Zanaflex For Migraines

hey i was just wondering if anyone else was taking Zanaflex for migraines?? If you are, has it helped? My Neurologist put me on Zanaflex a few months ago. I started out with a small dose and am now on 2mg 4x's a day. So far it's helped some but lately it hasn't been helping. All it's doing right now is making me have to sleep alot.

Guest dionna

i used neurotin. not any side effects that i noticed and it worked until i got use to it. sorry i haven't heard of your zanaflex but i hope you get something that does you better.

dionna :)

hmmm....interesting, I was recently given a prescription for zanaflex for insomnia. I don't have any problems with migraines. I know it's supposed to be a muscle relaxant though. I haven't started taking it yet because I saw one of the side effects was low blood pressure. Have you had any problems tolerating it? Has it gotten better with helping your migraines? I hope so :)

Pam

It was helping for awhile, but recently it hasn't been helping. In the beginning i had more problems tolerating it. It does make my blood pressure low, but i'm used to it cause my blood pressure is normally low anyway.

Guest Mary from OH

I take Zanaflex and I have intractible migraines. But, I don't take it for my migraines as much as for my fibromyalgia. I take mine at night. It does make you sleepy. It's one of those meds that can help more than one thing. I haven't ever heard of it for migraines; however, once my neurologist almost accidentily renewed my script for me instead of my other dr, so it very well may be used for them! Good luck to you. If you don't take it at night, I would. I take my whole dose at night.

A new friend of mine told me that she has had migraines for years, and that her doctor told her to take magnesium glycinate, which seemed to make them a lot less frequent. I went to the health food store and got some and have been taking it religiously. No migraine in weeks!!!!

Plus, I've been feeling very good in general. I've even started cooking again. I make my lunch every morning and dinner almost every night. I've been cooking totally vegan. (I take a massive iron supplement along with a vitamin C pill at night, and I'm getting plenty of supplemental B12.) An old friend of mine told me yesterday that I look better than she's ever seen me.

So, why do I feel better? Is it because (a) it's summer, and I always feel somewhat better in summer; (:) I've been taking magnesium glycinate instead of magnesium oxide; © I've been drinking that homemade electrolyte replacement--1/2 t salt, 1/2 t baking soda, 1/2 t potassium chloride, 1/2 sugar in a liter of water, with licorice extract added to medicinal purposes--twice a day; or (d) I've been doing the cooking, so my blood sugar level is extremely stable and I'm chock-full of natural antioxidants?