Had to move in with my parents

Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've visited. Unfortunately My husband and I had to sell our house in Dublin and move in with my parents. With me not working and the threat of his job being cut we just couldn't take the chance. How many bricks can be thrown in your path.. ya know. We moved to Fostoria where my husband found a wonderful job (praise the lord). Now its just a matter of getting on our feet again. We have not even been married a year and I think we have face more than most normal couples face in a lifetime.

My POTS has really been taking a turn downhill lately. I have been so scared. I have no control and no warnings anymore. The main problem is that my parents really freak out when things get bad. As some of you know the best way to treat us is not to baby us. How in the wor;d to I explain to them what is going on and how they should deal with it. I put myself in their shoes and it must be horrible to watch your child go through this but I need them to calm down. My husband knows exactly how to handle my spells and he has even tried talking to them, but it has not helped. So any advice would be great.

thanks a bunch

Mindy

Best of luck to you, Mindylee. I have not yet figured out hoe to explain this to my parents either; even though my dad has the same symptoms! Bless your parents for at least trying to help and your husband for being so understanding.

Mindy-

I'm sorry that you've been having so much trouble with your POTS lately. It must have been tough to have to move in with your parents (I love mine dearly, but I've been visiting them for 3 weeks and I am so READY to go home, lol B) ) but at least the option was there for the two of you. Try to hang in there through all of these "bricks" that keep crossing your path. Try to think of all this as a learning experience that not many people get to have- the pleasure of a simple shopping trip, a swim in the pool, a movie theater flick....most people never take the time to truly enjoy these things in life, because they are too wrapped up in everything else.

WE, on the other hand, have been given the oppurtunity to appreciate every little thing that comes along- and to make the most of it. I hope you feel better soon- I wish I had more advice for you on dealing with your parents, but mine have slowly adjusted over time and now it's almost second nature to them when I have a flare-up or am not feeling well. They came to almost all of my doctor's appointments in the beginning which helped them gain a better understanding of my condition and what I would be going through.

Keep those fluids up and come here anytime you need some support B)

Jessica

P.S. I was only 19 when I got sick, and my boyfriend and I had just moved in together, started college, and were looking forward to a life together...then WHAM came POTS. I thought it was incredibly unfair that I was only a year into the BEST time of my life when I got sick, and it was unfair to him that I couldn't work anymore and he was stuck with all the bills, apartment rent, etc...but here we are 3 years later with our own home and a beautiful baby boy. We managed to live frugally and make it through, and I've been working from home here and there when I am feeling up to it. Things have a way of working out ALL on their own :rolleyes:

I am sorry that you have had so much trouble lately. It is definetely hard to move back in with your parents after you are used to being on your own. I had to move back in with my mom about 2 years ago. I feel very lucky that I had somewhere to go, but I understand that it is not easy trying to deal with POTS and then having your parents get very worried. My mom came to a couple of my doctor's appt with me so she had an opportunity to ask a medical professional how to deal with these problems and I think she also wanted reassurance that when I do have a "flare up" that I am not going to die. It might help if your parents could get some reassurance from someone who knows what they are talking about (I say this loosely because we've all had a doc who had no clue about POTS, lol! :rolleyes: ) Good luck and congrats on your husband getting a new job!!

Jaime

In addition to getting some assurance from your doctor, you might try giving them an "assignment", something to do when you are having a flare up. I have found that for those around us it is the hardest because they want to do SOMETHING for us and feel helpless and maybe even guilty for just standing on the sidelines. So, if you can help them find something that makes them THINK they are helping you, it would probably be good.

I agree with Geneva fully. I have learned that if I give them all a task, it gives them less time to panic. As we all know, when we are very dizzy or having severe chest pains, there really isn't anything anyone can do to make the situation any better...so make a few things up to make them feel better. For example, my husband used to freak out every single time I would pass out. I then talked him in to propping my feet up, holding my hand, talking to me in a soft voice, and putting a cold rag on my forehead. 9 times out of 10, I have woken back up before he has had a chance to accomplish half of these items. I use the same things with my parents and friends.

Just a thought.

Please take care!