All Dried Out

calypso

Does anyone else have extreme dryness in various places -- eyes, mouth, skin, nose, even ears? I feel like my body isn't producing any skin oils in the last couple months. I especially started noticing the dry eyes recently, although the dry mouth thing has been going on since I developed POTS.

I did an Internet search and came up with Sjogren's syndrome, which usually hits women when they are older than I am. I am 30, and most of the women who get it are more like 40 at the youngest. But it did say it was an autoimmune condition, and I seem to have a few other autoimmune-like things going on in my body.

If anyone has this dryness, is there anything I can do -- aside from the obvious, like eye drops, lotion -- to combat it? Can it be improved with hormone creams?

Amy

I also have the intense dryness and I feel like I have aged 10 years when I look at my skin. I figured it was related to menopause, which I experienced at a rather early age. I was hoping symptoms would get better by this point. I had wondered if my thyroid was off, as my sister and mother both have problems with that,but mine is ok. My eyes, skin, mouth and nose are always dry. I use saline spray a lot for nose, of course drink lots of fluid-as we all do for the bp problems and I use eye drops when real bad. I have stopped wearing my contacts the past year due to illness as I have had extremely dry eyes, but also vertigo, headaches, eye pain,balance probs.

Use lots of skin lotion.

So not sure what others have to say--but also wondering if there was some autoimmune factor.

I debated hormone cream, but was already so sick and having so many side effects, that I didn't try it.

MD wanted me to try natural progesterone cream-- did purchase,

may consider at some point. B)

I, too, have the extreme dryness. I am 47 and take HRT due to a hysterectomy. When I tried Wellbutrin it got unbearable! I use a lot of lotions and it seems I have to always be carrying a water bottle - I bought a purse that has a special pocket for it.

I have a friend with Lupus/Sjogren's Syndrome - she developed it at an early age... we have a lot of the same problems.

I would wonder about Sjogren's syndrome--but I am sure there are other explanations. If it continues, you could be evaluated by a rheumatologist--they usually care for patients with this. Eye doctors are often aware of it too. I know some people who have this--they are all well over 40. It could be that it just takes that long to diagnose or to become bothersome enough to seek a diagnosis? One of the people I know with it went years before a diagnosis.

I know that people who have one autoimmune condition tend to have another as well--I have read that a good many women with Hashimoto's also have Sjogren's, for example.

Please be evaluated by a doctor if it continues--there are things you could do to relieve the symptoms if it is Sjogren's--or whatever the explanation is.

Katherine

I have it, too . . . dry eyes, dry skin, dry mouth. For me it can worsen if I take too many meds that have dry mouth as a side effect. Or if I increase the dose of zantac or some other meds.

So meds may be a cause. Also, I have noticed that mine can get worse in times of stress.

I really like Eucerin Calming Cream, available in most drug stores non prescription but kind of expensive. I slater it on my face 2 x daily and it really works for keeping my skin nice. I also use it on arms, legs, anyplace I have dry skin after a shower. My dermatologist recommended the Eucerin Calming cream when I developed a face/neck rash that was dry skin caused. I haven't had the rash since.

When my eyes get dry, I use drops 2 x a day. This seems necessary in the winter or really dry times of the year. I use drops specifically for dry eyes.

Nadine, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you began experiencing menopause symptoms? I honestly feel like I get a lot of the same symptoms but thought it was much too early for this. Maybe I am wrong.

Amy

Nadine, if you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you began experiencing menopause symptoms? I honestly feel like I get a lot of the same symptoms but thought it was much too early for this. Maybe I am wrong.

Amy

Amy-

I am now 45, soon to be 46. I stopped menses completely when I was 40, with excetpion of a couple spotting episodes of unknown cause, one after taking Medrol last summer. But for the most part had very few after age 36. I have always felt that I had a hormone imbalance my entire life, my husband and I joke about it at times. I had horrible menses, with pain, etc. started when I was 10,almost 11,then had infertility problems, used fertility meds for only child. Then when we were trying for years again, but without meds and finally decided to stop, husband sched. for vasectomy - menses suddenly stopped. Went in for testing and found out I was entering menopause.

When I look back I think- oh, so a lot of what I was feeling in my 30's was most likely perimenopause!! My sister also conceived at the age or 39, just when she was experiencing cycle changes as well and was approx. 20 weeks when she found out she was pregnant! You can have symptoms for years before cycles stop.

Check with your MD or GYN regarding symptoms, hormone levels--

Interesting that both myself and daughter have been diagnosed with CFIDS and she feels when she started her menses, her health problems began-she is right!! We have all see articles on this hormone connection, i guess.