Problems at work

I went back to work on sunday and thought that everything was ok. I had been on medical leave and had sent our corperate offices my dr's release note on friday. Well come to find out that because my dr put me on light duty (ei. no heavy lifting and letting me sit down when I get dizzy) they wont let me come back to work. They are completly unwilling to work with my disability and of course Im not getting paid. They also dont think that I am sick enough to recieve short term disability. I feel fine and I dont see why they wont let me go back to work. I contacted the Americans with disabilities and they suggested that I file a complaint with the EEOC then they will help me to sue the company. I hate that it has come to this but I am physically able to return to work, they just wont work with my disability. I work in retail so I know that I have to stand, but I dont need to sit all of the time (maybe just when we are slow). My husband is pissed! He wants to sue them and then get a vanity plate for the car that says the company name (so cynical).Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

April,

I had a horrible time at work where they told me I had to resign or they would fire me due to all the absences. I refused to quit and I went on medical leave which I am still on and have applied for disability. Actually during part of the time when the corporate couldn't decide if they were going to let me come back or not, my supervisor called me and told me to come back after about 2 weeks. I went back that next day, only to find out that there was a survey going on ( I am a nurse) and that is why they called me in to work, corporate had no clue I was in the building. My immediate supervisor allowed me to work the rest of the week while the surveyors were there and then at the end of friday she told me she would let me know on Monday how she was going to schedule me and that is when I found out that they wanted to fire me for my attendances. I haven't done anything about it yet, I am still deciding. Just don't let them run over you, we do have rights. I know I can't go back to work right now, I pass out about 3 times a week and have incredible leg pain. I do like the license plate thing.

Paige

Definition of Human Resources - A group of people that represent themselves as there for the company employees but are really there to protect the company and screw the employee :)

This issue is always best resolved by spending $100-200 consulting a lawyer that specializes in these problems; ADA, EOCC, Harassment....

steph

April

I'm behind you 110%.

Isn't it funny how in the health care profession you give to others. Your asked to be understanding and caring. When you get sick the doctor tells you to take time off of work. And it's this same loving environment that wants to get rid of you at the first chance they get. The group of people that should understand better than anyone else and be setting the example of better conduct.

Does this make sense?

it makes complete sense. I just got off the phone with the EEOC and I have to go down for an interview so they can get my side in writing. I told the HR lady that I was taking them to court and then all of the sudden she was like Oh, I wasnt aware that you had a disability. Yeah right, whatever. My husband called her back and put the fear of God into her. This is such a hassle. But its worth it so that next time someone else wont have to go through the **** Ive been through.

Wow April, I am so curious to see what happens here. I just don't have the energy to do anything about my situation. I loved being a nurse and the fact that they just kicked me to the curb has stressed me to the max. Hopefully my energy will return and I can fight. In the mean time keep us updated.

Paige

Yes, be sure to keep us up to date on this. I was SO lucky with my last employer - I was a nurse for an insurance company. They told ME what I could do as far as intermittent FMLA and so forth. Years ago I worked at a place, got terribly sick with pneumonia and was having to take a long time to recover so I went in and asked about FMLA; they told me they didn't have that. I told them it was a federal law. Nope, we don't have that. BTW, that was the Red Cross!!

I am back at work again. This time they have decided my drs note is acceptable. I had forgotten how much I dislike my boss. She always acts like she has your best interest at heart even when you know that she doesnt. At least now I will be getting a paycheck. Has anyone applied and recieved short term disability? They told me that I could apply for it for the time I missed and I didnt know if it was hard to get.

Hi April,

I applied for it and received it for the two months I was off. It was only a problem getting my medical records sent to the insurance company. But when they were sent, it went very smoothly. I was already back at work before I got the money, so they cut me one big check. Deb

I have gone out on short term disability probably 3 or 4 times each for a period of about 6 to 10 weeks. My employer has taken care of everything for me -- guess there must have been people like Aprilmarie before me paving the way for it to go smoothly for me. :-)

Your benifits office should be able to handle the paperwork since short term disability insurance is something the company and/or you contribute to as part of your benifits package.

Keep good thoughts, tell yourself that nothing can be taken away from you that you rightly deserve! Just repeat that as a mantra in your mind when you have to face "the boss" or the other people sticking red tape over every door and window.

EM