Wbc In Urine

Hi guys,

I went to my gyno yesterday due to lower abdominal pain and they found white blood cells in my urine. They said it could either be a UTI, bladder infection, something along those lines, they sent out the urine culture. Does anyone else have repeated problems having the WBC in your urine, with the ab. pain and painful urination?? Seems like I am getting this prob alot. Is it related to the POTS in anyway?

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie,

Yes, I've had urine tests sooo many times and it seems as if there has't been a time when they did not found wb cells in them! Lower abd. pain and pain when urinating doesn't seem that big a deal for me because I don't seem to be having them but wbcs always turn up in my urine sample. The docs though it was UTI or some infection so they have prescribed me antibiotics before but yes...it is strange. I don't know if this is related to POTS but it seems to be that now I am not the only one who have had this problem for a while...

Jacquie,

I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. The urologist has looked into my bladder with a scope under anesthetic to diagnose me. This was done in 2002.

I too get lower abdominal pain, burning, and feeling blah in general, along with white blood cells in the urine. When my GP sees the white blood cells, sometimes she just gives me an antibiotic. This may work for a few days, but then the pain returns.

I will be seeing my urologist for the first time in three years this Monday. I'm sure he will not know what causes the interstitial cystitis or whether it is related to POTS, but I am going so I can ask some questions like "Do you know any more (than you did in 2002) about what causes IC?" "Can it be autoimmune in origin?" (Like I suspect) "What preventitive(s) are there to a flare-up?"

Anyhow, if you have IC, there is a diet you can follow that really helps, as does drinking 1/2 tsp baking soda in 1/2 glass of water. There is website with this info somewhere.

If you have any questions you want me to ask him, let me know. I usually only get my 10-15 minutes with a doctor, but I'll try to see how many questions he can answer.