Altitude Change

I had a question about altitude change for you all,

I am planning on going up the mountains this weekend with family and friends, but I've been hesitant on going because I'm not sure if the change in altitude will affect me. I live in pa if that helps at all and the height to which we are traveling is definately greater. I know that we all become symptomatic to different situations, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you all have a *Wonderful* weekend! :)

Nicole

Hi,

I know from experience it's really important to stay hydrated. Lots and lots of gatorade. I notice that I am

more short of breath with the altitude change. Normal healthy people sometimes are also.

I also have more arrhythmias.

I'm not a fan of the mountain.

We're all different though so who knows.

Good Luck,

Dawn

How high are you going?

Every person is different and even perfectly well people can experience symptoms from altitude changes. And it can take most people time to adjust, depending on how high you are going and what altitude you are coming from, and what activities you have planned. I have a friend who gets a chronic headache at 7,000 ft during the first few days of adjustment from sea level, and she grew up in CO (and does not have any medical condition).

I notice slight symptoms at 5,000 to 8,000 feet--shortness of breath, more tachycardia--but nothing that stops me from normal activity. I definitely have symptoms over 12,000 feet (bad headache, nausea, fatigue). I think my symptoms are made worse by having POTS.

Increasing fluids is very important at higher elevations. It is also important to take it easy for the first few days as your body adjusts. If symptoms don't improve (bad headache, nausea, fatigue) the only solution may be to go down in elevation.

Mountains are beautiful--hope you have a great trip!

Katherine

Blondie- I live in Tucson, Az. Last time I went camping up to 9000 feet (much taller than PA mountains), I was so short of breath, I had to be taken down the mountain for relief. I was so disappointed, and embarrassed; we have been camping for years and I felt like a wimp. But I think Pennsylvania doesn't have anything over 3500 feet (Mt. Davis is 3200 feet). I think you should be ok, the elevation for those mountains is so low, they don't even record them on my map! I hope you have a wonderful time!

I live at sea level on the Oregon Coast and I definately get headaches when I change altitudes. Say Oregon Coast to Kansas City or something like that. We sometimes go to Central oregon which is high desert and a couple thousand feet and I am tired and spacey and headachy there and my face is perpetualy red too. I have to slam gateraid. If I go to timerline (7000 feet) and stay non mobile I will be ok...but again lots of fluids. We went camping once and crossed a pass that was over 8000 feet and I was barely conscious. My husband kept talking to me, to keep me awake, and all i could manage to say was 'get me down'. It was awful.

But everyone is different. Staying hydrated and listening to your body are the tricks to live by.

When I was up at Lake Tahoe, I responded differently on two different trips. The first trip I had a constant sick headache with GI symptoms really kicking in. The second trip, just the GI symptoms increasing.

So my conclusion is, it depends on several factors: how you are doing at the time, whether you have anemia even a little bit, whether you are rested, whether you are hydrated, you get the drift. It depends.

I live near PA. I'm in Baltimore, and I don't think the elevations are too high in the Poconos, are they?

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hi,

I live on top of a mountain in western north carolina, 4200 ft. I go down the mountain to go to town, doc, etc.. I do get tachy when I get down the mountain and then again on the drive up. It usually settles in about 15 minutes.

Love the mountains!!!

Janine

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I do think I will go after all, just be prepared. Get lots of rest and fluids.

I'll make sure to let you all know how I did when I get home! :rolleyes:

Thank you again,

Nicole