Dream causes POTS problem for anyone???

This sounds weird I know it does. I just woke up but before I did I was having a dream about ocean waves (they were flooding a back yard I was at) and everytime they hit I would have to hold my breath until they passed....Now, I am SOB and having a hard time breathing.....is this weird or what?!

Jacquie

Wow, really weird.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the breathing rhythm caused the dream, and not vice versa like you suspect.

I say this because I've noticed that with myself, it is usually the physical occurrence that manifests itself in my wildly imaginative sleeping brain.

I wish I had the same imagination in my waking mind as I do in sleep.

Have you ever had breathing issues prior to this dream?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have had alot of SOB in the past few weeks, but this really freaked me out!! It took about a half hour for me to feel like I was breathing normal. I can't even explain how I felt once I woke up....my breathing was way off though.

Jacquie

Yikes! If you continue to feel really uncomfortable with it all, there are two things I can think of, both involving further medical tests:

You could ask your neurologist or cardiologist or whatever doctor treats you if you could have breathing studies done, or you could ask to have a sleep study done where they attach electrodes to you while you sleep. I've had the sleep study.

If it doesn't bother you that much, forget what I just said.

I'm not really trying to create any problems for you. I just know you must be really freaked out and I was wondering what I would do under the same circumstances.

Maybe someone else on the board could relate better than I can to your difficulties with breathing rhythm.

I have no clue if this will help or not - but I am having similar sleep issues as well. When I am extremely tired or about to fall asleep, I get this shaking/vibrating feeling and it leads usually to a dream that involves falling. Then I jolt awake and my heart is racing and i am short of breath. I never thought that the dreams were related, but I told my doctor after it actually kept me up past 3AM the other night. I had an EEG done and am waiting on the results. And I agree with futurehope, a sleep EEG test may be good for peace of mind.

Good luck!