Swimming

Have any of you tried swimming? I am meant to go on saturday with a mate but havent been since being in a wheelchair

I almost feel "normal" again for a short period of time after swimming. I would go as often as I could without overdoing it. It is highly recommended form of exercise for those with POTS. I try to swim even when I don't feel great because it makes me feel better. But I don't have near the tolerance that I did before POTS.

Be careful: when in the water, you have no gravity pulling the blood into your feet. When you get out of the water, the blood rushes back into your feet and away from your head. Have someone with you in case you get dizzy or faint. I black out every time I get out of the water but feel pretty good in it. Also, cold water is bad bad news for us. Lastly, I suggest you try physical therapy to get more muscle tone in your legs first. I have been able to build up a lot of tolerance with a series of leg, hip, abdomen and neck exercises. It is a very slow and frustrating process, but very worth it. If the pool works for you, then do it frequently and start very slowly and build up to a comfortable level then push further. Good luck.

I used to be a competative swimmer and had a few POTs bouts before I was ever diagnosed. Foot cramps seemed to be my biggest issue as well as being dehydrated. I know it sounds silly (because you're surrounded by water) but just like running or aerobics, you need to keep a water bottle by the starting block. It would also be helpful to eat some protein before you work out...not enough to get a cramp, but enough so you have energy. And like the previous comment - move slow when you're done with your work-out, and never swim alone:)

I live near a lake and swim all the time. Most of the time I feel great, but there have been a few times that I've gotten tachycardia while swimming. Each time I've gotten tachycardia I was swimming in a way that tightened all my muscles, especially my stomach muscles. I try to avoid this now. For those who are able, walking in water can be a great way to get exercise. The water acts as a natural vasoconstrictor. I hope you are able to enjoy swimming. Make sure you don't go it alone. :)

Michelle

Doesn't the swimming cause any of you to get really high tachycardia? I was told not to swim without a lifejacket. Or to just hang off the side of the pool and just kick with my feet. Just thinking of swimming gives me tach.