New symptom

DSM3KIDZ

For the last couple nights when I try to go to sleep I have what feels like shocks or someone taking small rubber bands and flicking my finger tips and toes. It hurts and is VERY annoying. Once I fall asleep I don't feel it again unless I wake in the middle of the night. But it's usually gone in the morning except for my hands are really weak and I can't even open anything for a few minutes.

Does this happen to anyone else? Why is it only when I'm trying to sleep? Not if I'm just laying around.

I'm really scared that this is signs of perhiperal(?) neuropathy. I have autonomic neuropathy and hope the nerve damage isn't spreading!!

Any imput? Anyone else have this? Maybe it will pass.

Dayna

Well I did some research on Peripheral Neuropathy and that's how it starts finger toes shock like feelings and weakness especially at night. What the **** is causing so much nerve damage for me? I didn't have this 18 months ago or even two months ago so there much be on going nerve damage if new things are popping up.

Anyone Help

Dayna

Dayna

Hi Dayna,

I am sorry you are dealing with a scary new symptom.

I know that a few deficiencies can cause peripheral neuropathy. Get tested for vitamin B12 levels (urine methylmalonic acid and serum MCV are two tests). You could add B12 and folic acid to your diet. Lots of medications use up or reduce the ability to use these two vitamins. Also, some people, like diabetics with peripheral neuropathy, do better if they take inositol or biotin, two un-numbered B vitamins. Minimize sugar and white flour products in the diet, too.

There may be other stuff as well. We can keep looking and also see what others say.

Sleep well tonight.

OLL

Guest Belinda

I have been diagnosed with periphial neuropathy..it feels like what you describe..when I asked Bev about this she said that it all falls under POTS( becasue I was concerned about it.) I have no idea what is triggering mine at all..I am not diabetic and not sure I am deficient in anything.

What gets me is that Bev said it is normal for a person with POTS to have this..I get numb fingers and toes like if you cross your legs for too long one foot falls asleep..that is very common for me only I don't have to be crossing me legs for it to happen and it happens quite a bit in my hands/fingers. She said it is all the same.

HHHHMMMmmm..it is very disturbing. <_<

Belinda

hi dayna -

this can be neuropathy but can be other things as well. i've had it for years due to peripheral neuropathy & further aggrevated by poor circulation. all of my docs see it as part of the package.

that said, these symptoms got SIGNIFICANTLY worse for me this year in late november/early december. to the point that i couldn't stand on my feet at times, couldn't type straight as i couldn't control my fingers properly, etc. i was miserable and scared - as my docs were concerned - that things were escalating so rapidly.

but....things are back to my baseline now. they were much better by the end of december & back to my "normal" by mid january. the culprit in my case? vitamin B12 deficiency. and about a month after starting the injections the symptoms abated. of course there is no way to absolutely confirm the correlation but nothing else changed for me during that time & all my docs think that was it.

my levels were below normal to the point that starting injections was without question though not necessarily "quite" low enough that they would "normally" elicit the severity of symptoms i was having. that said since i already have neuropathy & some symptoms to begin with and since my body is far from "normal" it makes sense to me that i would have reacted more so to the deficiency & my docs pretty much agree.

hope you get some relief soon.

:) melissa

For the last couple nights when I try to go to sleep I have what feels like shocks or someone taking small rubber bands and flicking my finger tips and toes. It hurts and is VERY annoying. Once I fall asleep I don't feel it again unless I wake in the middle of the night. But it's usually gone in the morning except for my hands are really weak and I can't even open anything for a few minutes.

Does this happen to anyone else? Why is it only when I'm trying to sleep? Not if I'm just laying around.

I'm really scared that this is signs of perhiperal(?) neuropathy. I have autonomic neuropathy and hope the nerve damage isn't spreading!!

Any imput? Anyone else have this? Maybe it will pass.

Dayna

Hi Dayna,

I'm new to the site but I've been reading the posts for a little over a year now. It's really helped me to understand what's been going on. I, too, have had what I call, 'stabbing pains' in my feet. They don't happen nearly as often now that I am on both Celexa and Florinef. The Celexa, in particular, has taken them down a notch to where my feet just continually tingle (the backs of my hands also tingle and burn and the area around my mouth also tingles). Also, before I started taking these two medications, I felt that buzzing, vibrating, electric feeling all through my body and in my chest, especially when I would lie down at night. Occassionally it would reach the point where I thought I might be having a panic attack. I'm not sure whether the two feelings are related but the same medication has helped both. I've also had problems with nerve pain in my wrists, elbows and shoulders. That too, was helped by the medication. Apparently, SSRIs block pain. Like you I would notice this pain mostly at night when I would put my feet up. MY nerve pain has diminished. Hope yours will too.

Lily