Flu

Dizzy Dame

Hi all,

My mom is coming to visit for a few days and she's just gotten over the flu. She says she's still got congestion in her chest, but her mucus is clear. Does anyone know how long a person is contagious?

At this point in my illness if I get the flu I'll end up in the hospital and it will ruin my semester, so I'm terrified of getting sick.

Any advice is welcome :lol:

Normally a viral infection has an incubation period of 10 days. Definately contagious if fever is present. And is in the mucous.

Wash your hands a lot, wear a mask or have her wear a mask. The flu is nastly. i had it while I have had POTS and wound up in the hospital, I was soooooo dehydrated. Be careful

Peace

Janine

hi lauren -

i looked at the cdc site myself before reading the other replies and somehow got different info? not very different but a bit. here's the direct cut & paste:

"The Flu Is Contagious

A person can spread the flu starting one day before he or she feels sick. Adults can continue to pass the flu virus to others for another three to seven days after symptoms start. Children can pass the virus for longer than seven days. Symptoms start one to four days after the virus enters the body. Some persons can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons can still spread the virus to others."

it's from: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease.htm

my mom was just asking me if i knew last night so she'll be glad that you prompted me to look it up.

i totally understand your fear of getting sick. i get so mad when people come to school super ill when i know that if i catch it i'll end up ten times worse.

i hope your mom is able to visit; good luck with the decision.

:lol: melissa

Hi,

It really depends on which strain(s) of flu is going around. The incubation period can be up to 10 days (no symptoms but contagious). Children and people with weakened immune systems can carry it longer and contract it easier.

Wash hands often, door knobs, bedding, wear a mask. It freatly reduces your chanced of contracting a flu.

Peace

Janine

Hi guys,

I feel like a ****, but I ended up sending my mother away. The strain she had came with lots of vomiting/diarrhea (sp?), and fever and I know if I get sick I'll end up in the hospital. She was totally understanding, and she's going to come back in March. She lives overseas, but she's on the east coast a lot so it isn't the end of the world. Still, I wish I weren't so sensitive.

Thanks for the advice,

Lauren

We have had a nasty stomache flu for about 2 weeks now... It has really got me ill and my mother just called me to say she is feeling sick to her stomache... Needless to say I told her not to come over until she is completely better.

Dont feel guilty for turning people away... Its your health and you are the one who has to suffer if someone brings a germ in...... I'm sure your mom understands.

That's what I would have suggested. When my family gets sick, I stay somewhere else because I know if I get the bug, it'll be 10x worse and I'll end up in the hospital.

I'm sure she understands and doesn't want to make you worse :)