Anyone sick of the taste of Gateraide?

yikespanic

I am finding that I am getting sick of the taste of gateraide. I buy a mixed flavor case at my local food service warehouse, it's just the taste of them in general. Almost to kool-aide like. I like the clear new ones better but haven't been able to find them in bulk, single ones are expensive when you buy so many.

Anyone every try anything like this: http://www.eletewater.com/buy_elete.html (drops for regular water)

I thought this might be more ecconomical? Hate to dump the money on something no one else has tried?

Kim

My husband dislikes it too. He drinks Powerade - it has a great refreshing taste but not nearly as much sodium as Gatorade and I find it to be less sweet. So, the downside is not as much sodium but he likes it and will drink lots of it so the tradeoff works for us. We buy the powder and mix it up ourselves. A jar of the powder costs about $3.00 and makes 2 gallons. So far we have only been able to find the powder in blue at larger food retailers (Meijers in Michigan carries it). It has been almost a year and he has not tired of the taste yet, in fact, he doesn't like fruit juices anymore because they now taste way too sweet compared to the Powerade.

I have learned that the sugar and ratio of the other electrolites in sports drinks like gatorade can actually take a person more energy and longer time to digest in the stomache ......

I have found electromix which does nto contain all that sugar that causes that problem..... I mix some seal salt in it and it works well for me.

Guest Belinda

I too got sick of Gtorade a week ago and found that Propel by Gatorade has so many less sugars in it and it doesn't tast too bad either!

Also thier are mixes like mentioned before that contain lot less sugar if any I found some in the health food store only I think it is actually more expensive than buying bottles!!

I just wanted to add that electromix is 8.49 a box of 30 at vitacost.com

It lasts me for almost a month since it only takes 1 packet to a liter of water....

It smuch cheaper than buying bottles of sports drinks and also is better absorbed.....

Hi,

You need to watch the potassium with Gatorr ade and electrolyte mixes especially with some meds you might be on. I found that Olives, salty cheese, and crackers work well. Adding sodium that way makes me feel more normal. I actually never used salt from a shaker in my life until POTS came along. Yuck!!

Peace

Janine

after many years i too am reaching my gatorade threshold! i like it better diluted with water and do enjoy the pink lemonade variety to a degree but also have been exploring other options. price-wise though for gatorade. i've actually found the bigger (64oz. bottles) to be cheapest...and as much as i'm not a walmart fan they are - regular price - only $1.67 there) .

emergen-c is a mix that comes in different varieties and is available at different healthfood/grocery stores as well as online. it's not super cheap but has lots of good stuff in it in higher concentrations.

personally i can't stand the taste propel (think it tastes even more artificial b/c of the artficial sweetener) and prefer gatorade to powerade.

i'll definitely be looking into the other options people have mentioned though too...thanks!

:) melissa

p.s. janine - for me and some others potassium (needing more) is one of the reasons we NEED the drinks. obviously a good thing to be aware of but it can go in both directions....

Edited by Sunfish

yeah i have found my self getting tired of gatorade as well.. with in the last few weeks.. I think it is more the level of sugar in it that bothers me more the the taste.. I pretty much have gone to drinming water. when I can tolerate that.. I have tried the propel water.. and I just can't do the flavored water of any kind.. YUCKY!--it grosses me out

If it is the sugar in gatorade that is giving you a a problem.. they also make a powder form of gatorade.. and you make the strength to your own liking.. that runs about 3-4 $ and you get get in at walmart or anywhere really..(grocery stores..)

I also agre that the blue flavored poweraide (for me anyways) is better then gatorade... and is about all that I can handle in the gatorade dept.

Edited by dizzygirl

Hi,

I forgot when I was on florinef I was prescribed potassium pills. They gave me liquid potassium at first and it was prety gross... It would be nice if there was a tasteless electrolyte supplement. My doc suggested gatorade and gave me samples of electrolyte powder. I remember taking the potassium pills, drinking lots of water, changing to a liquid mineral supplement and eating a lot of olives.

I guess the problem is your bound to need a change, I got sick of olives for a while but Im back on them now, lol.

With any fluids or food I have, I get really full really fast. And the constant nausea drives me nuts.

I think its time to take out the juicer and start experimenting again.

Peace

Janine