Neurological testing

Guest thisblows

Guest thisblows

Hey did you guys pass all your neurological testing? For example did you ever have anyone tickle your feet and see which way your toes curl or how your pupils react to light or make you walk heal to heal in a straight line? It seems like if POTS is a neurological disorder then there should be some discrepiencies in neuro testing in addition to an increase in heart rate.

What you're talking about is neurological reflex testing typically regulates the motor systems... some disorders, such as Chiari malformation, spinal cord compression, and issues that create brain or cord lesions, cerbral spinal fluid pressure problems, parkinsons, ALS, etc. can all have symptoms that overlap with ANS impairment, but ALSO often have abnormal neurological findings with reflexes.

A few years ago, I started having progressive problems with swallowing, walking (legs going out from under me), jerking in my arms and hands, shooting electric-like pain running down my arms and legs, loss of strength on my left side, dropping objects. I had lots of neurological testing. I failed several tests--which returned to normal (or close) after spinal surgeries to repair compression of my cord. I had a positive rhomberg sign, reflexes that weren't supposed to be present in my fingers, and feet.

However, some things did not return to normal--my EMG tests are unchanged. Clonus in both arms and diminished velocity (nerves not running a signal at the correct speed). Some sensation and strength returned, but seem to change depending on how my spine is doing on any given day.

The ANS is a neurological system--however, you can have MAJOR ANS disturbances and NOT have an abnormal reflex, other than the baroflex (reaction of the blood vessels to changes in position). ANS system tests include TTT, sweat tests, catecholemines, etc. Most of us do DO typically show up as abnormal in one or more of these areas.

Nina :)

I used to work for a group of neurologists. I kept passing all of the neuro tests just fine - and they would tell me it was all in my head. One of them, however, discovered I had OH and sent me for a TTT.

Yep, I've always passed the standard neurological tests too. (Except for my hyperreflexes, I suppose). The Detection Page of DINET will give you some info on tests you might be given if your doctor suspects dysautonomia.

Michelle

I had neuro tests several years before my POTS was "caught" and I didn't pass the standard tests, can't remember what they call it but he said if I ever was asked to do the "drunk test" I would fail, it was closing my eyes and touching my nose, walking a straight line etc. this was when they found out I had migranes? But, haven't seen one since the POTS? My balance is bad and I do have problems looking straight up, not sure what all that means but the head and neck MRI were normal?

I did fail the "drunk tests". And I couldn't smell the wintergreen they were trying to get me to identify - finally the nurse showed me the bottle. When I got the dictation from this visit the doctor had documented that my sense of smell was within normal limits. What a crock!