Abnormal EEG

dawn

Hi,

I recently had a couple episodes of slow speech. I saw the neurologist, had an EEG, carotid ultrasound,

CT scan followed by an MRI. He thought I had a small stroke. The MRI was fine but the EEG showed

probable focal seizures.

I have to wear an EEG for 3 days to get a better test.

Just curious if anyone has been diagnosed with a seizure disorder and if so what medication they take.

The doctor mentioned neurontin, depakote or dilantin.

Dawn

Guest Finrussak

those are the main 3 mentioned for me as well...BUT after seeking a second opinion it turned out I did NOT have seizures...so threw out the RX!!!! never took them either!!

the irregular EEG was from brain damage due to Lyme ( as is the white matter spots on MRI) and the speech stuff still comes and goes...sometimes fully aphasic....so you might want to get a second opinion taking the strips with you!!! If it IS seizures tho those meds are truly miracles in that many of the sx if not all may disappear!!!! It what I call the "strep throat" dx...an answer that can be fixed!!!! Altho Id never "wish" illness on anyone, if you DO have something, let it be fixable!!!!

Edited by Michelle Sawicki

When I was in the Hospital last time I came back with white matter on my MRI by my brain stem and right frontal lobe, then I had two EEG's done both which came back "abnormal", also my brain cords were "abnormally tight". After I got outta the hospital the Neuro wanted me to come for more testing which I supposdly passed so they threw all the previous test out and said I was find :( Does anybody else have the white matter on their MRI's or abnormally tight brain cords???????????

Guest Finrussak

Do you mean white SPOTS??? or lesions in the white matter??? ALL of us have white matter and gray matter which are the 2 tissue types in the brain!!! The problem comes from spots or lesions in either. Spot on white matter may explain things like memory probs, cognitive function decline ( brain fog, cant think of words or associate stuff etc)...These lesions can result from high blood pressure causing tiny clots or bleeds ( opposites I know but both can happen) and with some dysauto pts, blood pressure goes up high during episodes of adrenergic tachy;which then kills the brain cells and dead cells show up as spots.Also areas of "clogged" transmission also show up. Inflammation and diseases such as the tick stuff ( Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia etc), MS, etc can all do this.[ As a matter of fact Dr Fallon, neuro at Columbia NYC, has documented the high percentages of pts with these white matter lesions when later tested prove they have or had very bad LYME etc infection!!!!!] And even age related, or old traumas ( physical not psychological) can leave one's MRI spotty.

FYI Gray matter is the ares of brain containing the cell bodies of the neurons ( nerve cells). The white matter are the areas of the axons ( the "wiring" or message sending threadlike cables); the axons are covered in Myelin a fatty sheath that gives the whitish appearance on scans. The areas of the brain have various functions...like the rear cerebellum ( the part that drops or appear too low in Chiari patients) is concerned with coordination of muscle/ movement, balance, the cerebral hemispheres ( frontal and parietal-side- lobes) with cognition etc....the brain stem ( is that what you mean by "brain chords???) connect to the spinal chord thru a hole in the skull base....controls basic life functions like breathing.

If the Foramen (skull hole) is small or your lower brain protrudes/is low ( called Chiari) it may be a bit "tight"...as long as theres no pressure on it Im guessing it may not be as serious...IF there is pressure many have surgery.

ANY time you dont really understand the results of a test ( and even if you do) you can ASK the doctor for HIS explanation, in common language.....and then you can ask why he thinks that way or how he knows....giving you a full understanding.

Edited by Michelle Sawicki

No lesions or "white spots." The MRI and CT scan were negative. It was the EEG which showed an intermittent disturbance of cerebral activity. Slow and sharp wave activity was seen in the theta frequency band over the left hemishere, with phase reversal at T3 and occasional equal potentiality at F7-T3.

Impression: This EEG showed an intermittent disturbance over the left temporal region,which at times appeared epileptic and was suggestive of focal seizures over this area.

He explained his concern as the left temporal lobe controls language, memory and emotion. I have an appointment on the 7th to wear the EEG for 24 hrs (he will extend it to 7 days if any abnormality).

Thanks for your responses. Just curious how many people have had an EEG, I've had POTS for over 15 years and never had one before.

My internist said alot of the symptoms could be explained by post seizure activity EX: nausea, fatigue, headache, facial flushing, depression, feeling of fear, loss of appetite, sweating. He said "does any of that sound familiar?"

Dawn

I had white spots, and my neuro (failure of better words) was a complete *** who didn't answer my moms questions and told us to just "Trust HIM he is not considered the best neuro in Toledo for nothing" I also experianced slow and sharp wave activity was seen in the theta frequency band over the left hemishere, with phase reversal at T3 and occasional equal potentiality at F7-T3.

They did my EEG because of my abnormal MRI and CAT - The nuero decided that I was not a seizure type patient after my extensive EEG came back normal