migraines medication tolerance

Radha

my migraines are coming more often and more severe, imitrex, relpax, etc, are not giving the same amount of relief as they used to, but they still give the same amount of terrible side effects! and so cant take more due to drop in blood pressure that they cause, so i was wondering do these meds lose their effectiveness the more often you take them and are addicting like codeine or vicodin? thanks

radha

Edited by MightyMouse

Rhada, I think what you're asking is not about the medication being addictive, but if people can build a "tolerance" to the medication, eventually requiring more and more to get the same effect?

I'm not sure what the literature has to say on that, but I can tell you from personal experience, that certain meds that once worked for MY migraines no longer work, or work intermittently. I tried a new medication this week, Relpax, which worked somewhat. I also had cranial nerve block performed and that really helped a lot, but left my head a neck aching for days (still hurts). I must say that the ache from the shot is less than that of the headache, so I'll deal with it.

Nina

Rhada, I agree with Nina. Just about any med can lose its effectiveness over time and require higher doses. I am also having trouble with my migraines becoming more severe and more frequent. Unfortunately, Imitrex and Maxalt never worked for me at all. And I hate taking hydrocodone, because of the side effects. My primary is sending me to a neurologist for help. Have you tried any prophylactic meds for migraine prevention? I tried imipramine and nadolol before I knew I had ortho intolerance issues, and my BP disappeared!! I also tried depakote, which absolutely made my migraines disappear, but made my inflammatory bowel issues worse. With dysautonomia, it's like having to trade off one symptom for another!! I hope your doctor can find something that works for you with minimal side effects.

Melly

Radha,

I'm sorry to hear that your migraines are so much more often right now!

I take Zomig - it makes me sleepy but gets rid of my headache. I'm not really sure what it does to my blood pressure though.

I hope you find something that helps,

Lisa

thanks for all the replies, you're right nina, i meant build up a tolerance, not addiction, my main symptoms, are sharp intense pain always on left side, from eye to back of head, cant open my eyes, too painful, no nausea or or stomach problems, but the meds give me nausea, i thought for a while it might be cluster, but it never goes away in minutes, they last hours to days, and eating , just eating many times brings one on, my guess due to low blood volume, since many times i get the sharp pain as soon i eat, immediately, thanks again for replying,

radha