Pacemakers

Dizzy Dame

Hi all,

I just saw my new PCP today and she suggested I look into getting a pacemaker. My old doctor in Hawaii suggested the same. I was wondering though, do they help people with POTS? I have several arrythmias (did I spell that right?) as well: PAC's, sinus arrythmias, ectopic beats, a right axis deviation (whatever that means). I'm sure a pacemaker would help with some of the arrythmias, but I'm just not sure if a pacemaker will help the POTS, or the hypotension.

Soooooo, I wanted to know if any of you have pacemakers, and if so, what your experience has been. Also, if any of you were warned against pacemakers for POTS etc.

Thanks in advance for your help :unsure:

Cheers,

Lauren

Hi, Lauren we have discussed this recently (I posted a similar question!) so you might want to do a search. Basically, some people have been helped and some have had their symptoms made worse (more by the ablation than the actual pacemaker). The pacemaker talk comes up almost every time I see my cardio so I totally understand your question!

Carmen

Hi, Lauren we have discussed this recently (I posted a similar question!) so you might want to do a search.  Basically, some people have been helped and some have had their symptoms made worse (more by the ablation than the actual pacemaker).  The pacemaker talk comes up almost every time I see my cardio so I totally understand your question! 

Carmen

Thanks for the advice Carmen. I didn't even think to search on the topic. I'm such a dizzy blonde sometimes :unsure:

You need to see a cardiologist and have them run tests. Basically a pacemaker will only help a portion of your POTS if you are having problems as a result of bradycardia (slow heartbeat).

I have a pacemaker and pass out less frequently because I don't pass out now when my heart rate drops too low however I still pass out from bp changes and pacemaker will do nothing for tachycardia or PVC or PAC's.

My experience is that many PCP's, ER docs and actually MANY in the medical community do not clearly understand what pacemakers are for. Your cardiologist should be able to help answer these. Generally though, the DYSauto doc's don't recommend it unless you have frequent documented episodes of brady.

Last year when I got my pacemaker put in, I thought I was going to feel great, and be able to get back to a "normal" life. I didn't get any big changes, in fact the only thing it has done is stop the slow heart heart due to the abltions. I still have tachycardia, and I still blackout/ i don't pass out much though. Just becareful and ask alot of questions with the doctor. I think there are very good reasons for having a pacemaker, just make sure the pros' are better then the cons. Hope everything goes well. You will have to let us know how it goes!

Amy

hi lauren -

as others have said, there is definitely a time & place for a pacemaker, but the bottom line is that they are not designed to help with blood pressure in any way nor with tachycardia.....only the bradycardia & or heart actually stopping side of things. i too have had them mentioned to me but have never seriously gone down the path. one of the issues that was explained to me by dr. grubb many years back was that having functional tachycardia "controlled" via a pacemaker can at times increase one's incidence of hypotension &/or fainting b/c the compensation for one's hypotension is somewhat compromised.

as mentioned you'll also find a lot of info in past discussions....

;) melissa

Mine hasn't helped anything; except my long term disability insurance company who promptly cut me off because the EP who put it in told them the pacemaker was "working perfectly".

I still have just as much problem with PVC's, tachy, and fainting.