Upright Posture Panic and IBS

Machair

Does anyone else find being upright generates horrid panic feelings and if prolonged causes bowel upsets? I find in flares that standing causes my bowel to churn and often requires several toilet trips if it is a bad day along with all the other usual symptoms of dysautonomia. It is horrid as I have to be aware of the location of bathrooms. 

18 minutes ago, Machair said:

Does anyone else find being upright generates horrid panic feelings and if prolonged causes bowel upsets? I find in flares that standing causes my bowel to churn and often requires several toilet trips if it is a bad day along with all the other usual symptoms of dysautonomia. It is horrid as I have to be aware of the location of bathrooms. 

Yes, but i do not panic. best i can say is to see a Gastro Doc and discuss symptoms. I was just treated for SIBO and it helped greatly but i get a feeling SIBO is not popular term in the dysautonomia world as it does not come up that often but it will mess with folks more than one would think. I have seen IBS issues with folks but not so many resolutions to the root of it.

See a gastro doc and good luck.

@Machair I have HPOTS and this used to happen to me when I would be overstimulated. For example once I went for a horseback ride ( not a very strenous activity and I am comfortable around horses ). But I was so looking forward to it that my sympathetic NS kicked in overdrive, resulting in pounding heart, excitement and - yes - a trip to the bathroom every two minutes. This is all part of norepinephrine dumping, which is part of our illness. 

Thank you so much for the replies. Pistol I really understand what you are saying it is horrid though isn’t it?

Have you found anything that helps to prevent attacks?

19 hours ago, Machair said:

Thank you so much for the replies. Pistol I really understand what you are saying it is horrid though isn’t it?

Have you found anything that helps to prevent attacks?

Well, not really except I try to avoid overstimulation. I am disabled and live a quite sedentary lifestyle, but we cannot live without stimulation or we might as well just never get out of bed, lol. So I just expect a flare as the price of willingly actually DOING something. I rest the day before an activity and for a few days after. So, a trip to the mall with my daughter would take me about four days to "digest". 

I don’t have time to look this up right now, but standing can cause excess catecholamines to be released, and I think that can cause feelings of panic and also diarrhea.

People with hyperPOTS get a very large release of catecholamines, but I think it can also happen to a lesser extent in other POTS subtypes and other types of orthostatic intolerance.

Dr Satish Raj often mentions testing for catecholamines in his talks (other doctors mention it too but I can’t think of any other names right now!). I can’t remember now whether he has any specific treatment advice. If you don’t mind watching a couple of his lectures it should come up.