Clonidine Patch

Abe

Hi Everyone.  Please, is anyone familiar with Clonidine?  Was it helpful for you or not?  Do the positives outweigh the side effects? This is the second time I have been prescribed the medication.  First was the tablet and now, the patch.  I never took the tablet because I was too afraid of the side effect.  I have just experienced a lot of bad side effects in the last 8 years that I now treat every medication like a death door knock.  My blood pressure has been extremely high the last few months and I can't keep going like that.  Thanks.

@Abe I was prescribed clonidine years ago for HPOTS with hypertension but had to stop taking it after five horrible days. I did not tolerate this med at all. But please know that there are many people who do very well on it and whose BP is regulated on clonidine. 

Unfortunately with dysautonomia we have to be brave and try new meds on a trial-and-error basis. Most of us are very medication sensitive, which makes it harder. I have learned that only by experimenting could we find the right med combo for me. You wont know if it works for you unless you try it. Like I said - many people tolerate it very well. 

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Abe I was prescribed clonidine years ago for HPOTS with hypertension but had to stop taking it after five horrible days. I did not tolerate this med at all. But please know that there are many people who do very well on it and whose BP is regulated on clonidine. 

Unfortunately with dysautonomia we have to be brave and try new meds on a trial-and-error basis. Most of us are very medication sensitive, which makes it harder. I have learned that only by experimenting could we find the right med combo for me. You wont know if it works for you unless you try it. Like I said - many people tolerate it very well. 

Thanks @Pistol.  I will try it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the pills and years later I tried the patch. I was unbearably tired without much relief from tachycardia. Like the other poster said, we have unpredictable sensitivities. I can’t take Benadryl, but it’s perfectly fine for almost everyone else. You won’t really know unless you try it. 

Hi Abe, Yes, I've been using clonidine as a patch for almost a year and it seems to be working great. I too have erratic hypertension and clonidine seems to help a lot. I also take other anti-hypertensives. I totally understand the hesitancy to begin taking this medication. It took me almost two years to finally decide because nothing else seemed to be helping control my blood pressure. The side effects include dry eyes and mouth which can be offset with pyridostigmine (which I also take).