Wrong information sent out by GP in referrals

Sarah Tee

Happens to me from time to time. usually it's a nurse that gets the referral information wrong or mychart has not been updated to reflect the issue i am being referred for.

I just message my GP with what is going on and hope for the best. I have more issues with referrals being sent to out of house providers.  

On a related topic, I just remembered I was sent my medical records a while ago, on paper and on a CD.

And the files on the CD appear to be editable!

This means I can cut all the wrong/irrelevant stuff out. Woo hoo!

I am just about to start with a new GP – hope springs eternal.

@MikeO, when/how do you see the referral letters? I am trying to work out how to intercept them in future.

3 hours ago, Sarah Tee said:

when/how do you see the referral letters? I am trying to work out how to intercept them in future.

I can't see the referral letters on MyChart. i could pull records but is a bit of a pain. i just ask when i go in for the referral or have to call on one that went crickets. i.e...being referred for dysautonomia to a provider that does not have a dysautonomia clinic 

• 1 month later...

LOL! @Sarah Tee,

You just reminded me of a wonderful story I’d like to share regarding errors on referrals.

After all of the local docs had failed to diagnose me, I was referred to the Big City of Portland Maine (pop 60,000) to see a new Cardiologist. After a 3 hour drive we arrive. I stagger the impossible distance with my walker only to discover that all of the staff appear nervous around me? 
Thirty minutes into our appointment, the Cardiologist nervously asks me “which pronouns do you prefer”? 🤪Bear in mind 2 things, first I have no problem with any pronoun issues, second I’m an aging balding man with a prednisone belly with a thick beard wearing red and black plaid like any other Mainah. The appointment didn’t help but the following hilarity was worth the drive:
Me: “um, no…he/him would be fine but why don’t you just call me Doug”?😐

Cardiologist: “are you sure? This is a safe place”?🥺
Me: “ummmm, while that’s great, but he/him works best”.🤔

Cardiologist: “so you identify as male???🤯

Me: “yes, genetically, biologically, culturally, I’m married, to a woman, she’s in the car”😳

Cardiologist: “really, it’s okay to be yourself”,🥴

Me: “alright, what the bleep is going on here? Why won’t you believe me when I state my gender”🥵

Cardiologist: “well, the chart states you’re female, so”😵‍💫

Me: “so you believe the chart instead of me?” 🤬

EXPLAINS A LOT DOESN’T IT! I can’t believe that he spent half the visit NOT KNOWING MY GENDER, and most of the rest arguing with me about what I am?!? Of course he completely missed the POTS staring him in the face! 🥸