Lost my exercise mojo

Sarah Tee

I was doing so well the last two months since starting a calcium channel blocker, but I have had a couple of setbacks.

First, I got the angriest rash ever after … wait for it … sweating slightly eight hours after applying a pea-sized amount of anti-itch lotion. Anti-itch lotion!

The rash cleared up, thank goodness, but I did not like to risk getting at all sweaty again until it was completely gone.

Then I got some bad health news (not dysautonomia), which really knocked the wind out of my sails. It is sorted now, medically speaking, but it was an awful shock psychologically.

Now I just can’t seem to get back to my exercise routine, or get inspired at all. Any tips?

@Sarah Tee I know how you feel! Whenever I have a "set-back" like you describe I go back to square one ( exercise wise ). I make myself do supine exercises and then gradually increase to sitting and then upright. Or I walk a few minutes and gradually increase the time. If we dont feel like exercising we should always take this as a signal from our body that we need to take things slow. 

Whenever I have an allergic reaction ( even just one single insect bite ) I flare. Histamine is a vasodilator, so it can wreak havoc on our unstable ANS. 

I sincerely hope you will feel better soon. Be kind to yourself!

well i find when i get spun off from a flare up, illness or finding out i have one more issue to deal with is that when i am ready is to get back into a routine. I start with my moring's so a cup of coffee and something to eat then into the shower right away (gets me moving) and whatever follows after like house chores, meal prep and even some treadmill time.

I find the longer i wait the harder it is for me.

Still feeling a bit low in spirits, but managed to dig up some plants to share with a neighbour.

It is called the flax lily and gets brightly coloured flowers and berries.

https://www.climatewatch.org.au/species/plants/black-anther-flax-lily

The flowers are food for one of our native bees:

https://www.lfwseq.org.au/blue-banded-bee/

I’m not sure what eats the berries in our garden – probably parrots.

Also called our occasional gardener/handyman to ask him to come and do some weeding. I guess he will be doing the exercise. Still feels like progress!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the tv remote exercise! I’ve run into a brick wall with my exercise attempts. After a week and a half of the CHOP exercise program my vitals are unacceptable and many symptoms have returned (chest pain, sweating, dizzy, all the normal.

Very deflating. I was hoping I could get some conditioning before my total hip. But I’m seeing dangerous BP/Tachy numbers (200/100, 185) so I’m stopping effective immediately and hoping to return to baseline. 

SO FRUSTRATING! I HATE POTS!

@MaineDoug I cannot follow any exercise regimen at all because from day to day my tolerance changes. So I simply do what I can each day. I also count walking and certain chores as exercise - mopping floors is hard core! Changing bed sheets is a work-out, especially when you do it to the theme song from Rocky!

Sorry to hear that, @MaineDoug. I had been struggling for years with my OI symptoms, finally got a medication that worked, had six weeks of feeling a lot better, then had some bad news about something else healthwise that has thrown me into a spin.

I hope you will get lots of help from physios after your hip operation.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally managed to get back to some exercise today. I’m afraid it felt rather joyless but I gritted my teeth and got it done.

I am relieved that after my little “adventure” the other week (adverse reaction to verapamil), my BP behaved itself during and after exercise.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Sarah Tee said:

I finally managed to get back to some exercise today. I’m afraid it felt rather joyless but I gritted my teeth and got it done.

I am relieved that after my little “adventure” the other week (adverse reaction to verapamil), my BP behaved itself during and after exercise.

Happy to hear you are making progress....keep up the good work