Does Pain Trigger Dysautonomic "Flare"

mehaller

I've been bumping along in a modestly improved state from my adrenergic OH.  All things arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis didn't take a break when I became significantly symptomatic with AOH.  Imaging revealed a bulging disc and stenosis L5-S1 causing radiculopathy.  Fifteen weeks of physical therapy plus diligent at home P/T hasn't alleviated the radiculopathy - pain.  In fact - it has only gotten worse.  I have now become aware that as my pain worsens, my AOH gets much worse. 

Question:  Is anyone aware of a linkage between pain and dysautonomic responses or "flares" (if there is such a thing)?  Thanks in advance

@mehaller

I am so sorry you have to endure all of this! Hang in there! -- As to your question about pain and dysautonomia symptoms - I have learned that anything that stresses our bodies can trigger symptoms - and pain is a big stressor. The ANS responds to everything that is going on, inside and outside of our bodies. 

sorry you have to go thru this @mehaller. i have been here with my lower back and my cervical spine. i don't know for sure if there is a known direct link to any flares but when my spine acts up i seem to have more GI issues with it. I can tell you for sure there that the pain is a direct link to me being crabby Haha.

Hang in there. if that disc is going to shrink it's going to take some time.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:08 AM, MikeO said:

sorry you have to go thru this @mehaller. i have been here with my lower back and my cervical spine. i don't know for sure if there is a known direct link to any flares but when my spine acts up i seem to have more GI issues with it. I can tell you for sure there that the pain is a direct link to me being crabby Haha.

Hang in there. if that disc is going to shrink it's going to take some time.

Not enough steam left for crabby...  I hope to learn more next month.  Seven months ago my neuro told me to try P/T, but we may have to involve a surgeon.  I balked, no, no surgeon thank you.  After P/T only worsening the neuropathy, I find myself learning the lingo of surgical procedures.  Amazing what a little pain will do to change an attitude.