How much saline IV fluids to ask for 250 or 500?

Nin

Just phoning round privately for saline infusion (which I assume is IV fluids) and he asked do I normally have 250 or 500. I've never had it for pots so I don't know. Can anyone tell me how much you have for your pots? Also how long do the benefits normally last. Just want to give it a try as I'm desperate 

I just can't get it here in the UK through the nhs, so had to go private

I usually get two bags (which I think are 500 ml each--??) about every other day when I am in a very bad flare up.  For me it provides relief that can last about a day.  I still don't feel normal but it prevents me from feeling so badly that I have to lie down constantly.  Along with continuing to drink fluids as well.

Typically I get the fluid over a 4 hour period.

@Nin I get 1 liter Lactated Ringer Solution over 4 hours. Saline works also, but LR works better for me. Personally I dont think 250 ml would make much of a difference. 

13 hours ago, Pistol said:

@Nin I get 1 liter Lactated Ringer Solution over 4 hours. Saline works also, but LR works better for me. Personally I dont think 250 ml would make much of a difference. 

Do you think 500ml would make a difference? I don't think I could ask for more as I just said it's for dehydration. If I start telling him about pots he might say no to giving it to me. How long do you think the affect would last for me?

9 hours ago, Nin said:

Do you think 500ml would make a difference? I don't think I could ask for more as I just said it's for dehydration. If I start telling him about pots he might say no to giving it to me. How long do you think the affect would last for me?

It’d be worth a try if that’s all you can get, especially if they run it slowly. I don’t usually feel better until I’m more than halfway through a liter, but we are all different. You might feel better for 8 hours after, or a day, or a week! Some people get fluids monthly and that’s enough.

@Nin I have received IV fluids over different times but I find that - for me - running it at a rate of 200 to 250 ml/hr has the best effect, even better if run slower yet. So that would mean running 500 ml over at least 2 hours. 

You can estimate your blood volume and estimate how much you might be down by.

https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/4065/blood-volume-calculation

I can’t remember what the average percentage under is for people with POTS. It should be mentioned in this lecture:

https://vimeo.com/540671549

I think, for an adult, 500mL would be the minimum worth bothering with, unless the person was quite small.

It might take a few sessions to find the right speed for you. Hope it helps!

On 5/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, Sarah Tee said:

You can estimate your blood volume and estimate how much you might be down by.

https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/4065/blood-volume-calculation

I can’t remember what the average percentage under is for people with POTS. It should be mentioned in this lecture:

https://vimeo.com/540671549

I think, for an adult, 500mL would be the minimum worth bothering with, unless the person was quite small.

It might take a few sessions to find the right speed for you. Hope it helps!

Thanks for that! Yeah it's worth trying. Need to get some money together and I'll give it a go.