Gastroparesis - Caused by Autonomic Dysfunction?

Hi,

I am starting to get a feeling that my GI issues are more related to autonomic neuropathy than anything else. Is this even possible? I am starting to put 2+2 together when i have GI flare ups (vomiting, sudden stomach pain, bloating etc...) they just so happen to coincide very high blood sugar levels and me missing my Mestition for a few days.

Just reaching out if anyone has insight to this.  

well got my question answered the hard way..

had an ER visit last night where the physician on duty brought this up to me. Not only is it possibly responsible for the nausea associated with elevated blood sugar, but she explained that It can also be responsible for delayed digestion, which contributes to unexpected lows and highs (as insulin takes effect before food has finished digesting properly and then glucose rises when food digestion finally completes).

She said that this particular form of neuropathy not only affects the nerves responsible for gardening the digestive process, but also affects things like the vagus nerve (nausea and knowing when your stomach is empty or full).

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

She said that this particular form of neuropathy not only affects the nerves responsible for gardening the digestive process, but also affects things like the vagus nerve (nausea and knowing when your stomach is empty or full).

That is very interesting mike. I find that certain foods make me fill sated ( especially high protein foods ) and carbs make me crave more ( so i avoid them ). What you are mentioning might be a possible explanation. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

That is very interesting mike. I find that certain foods make me fill sated ( especially high protein foods ) and carbs make me crave more ( so i avoid them ). What you are mentioning might be a possible explanation. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

I thought at one point i might have had some mild IBS but now i am sure i do not. I do experience the delayed gastric emptying which really messes with me.

if i only eat meat like steak or boneless chicken and some green beans this will leave me very hungry. because of the lack of carbs won't spike the blood sugars but still provoke a insulin response which lowers BG levels (i go low and happens on queue) i have seen some lows in the 50-60 range. so what happens i eat some carbs to compensate and that stuff sits in my stomach for way too long and then skyrockets my blood sugars hours later which makes me sick. seems like a vicious cycle.